Exact pressure switch adjustment?

Old 06-29-07, 01:33 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exact pressure switch adjustment?

Hello there,
our 1 hp pump recently went out on our 250' well. I replaced the 1 hp pump & motor with a 3 hp, with is actually better for the 14 zone sprinkler system we have and it was also the original size we used to have here about a decade ago. But went to a lower one without thinking through our huge sprinkler system. Also had to change out the Franklin control box to a larger unit. We also have a 1000 gallon pressure tank.

I need to make adjustments on the pressure switch and would like to know how (exactly) adjust the screws. Right now it is running at about 28/70. I would like to get it to about 40/70 so that we maintain good pressure through the entire sprinkler system zones. Right now it will perform well through the first 8 or so zones.

It seems that every forum or blog I have looked at tells me something different: turn clockwise, turn counter clockwise, half turn, quarter turn, etc... Does anyone have expert advice on how to adjust the pressure switch.

Thanks so much,
Wit

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-07, 03:20 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
First tell us the make and model of the pressure switch. Different switches are adjusted differently.

Old 06-29-07, 03:53 PM
W
Type of pressure switch

Originally Posted by furd View Post
First tell us the make and model of the pressure switch. Different switches are adjusted differently.
My switch is a square d

Thanks,
Wit

Old 06-29-07, 03:57 PM
W
Square D

Originally Posted by Witznd View Post
My switch is a square d

Thanks,
Wit
Square D---old, no model # from the 50's or 60's but still a good one:-)

Old 06-29-07, 05:27 PM
P
How many adjustment nuts does it have?
Ron

Old 06-29-07, 05:39 PM
W
Hi Ron,
it has two adjustment nuts...a big one and a small one (side by side) big one in the middle, small one to the left of big one. Thanks for your help,
Wit

Old 06-30-07, 12:07 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
Square D pressure switch instruction manual (pdf)

http://stevenengineering.com/Tech_Support/PDFs/45COMPS.pdf

Old 06-30-07, 09:23 PM
Sounds like a standard square-d switch. Since you want a 30 psi difference between on/off turn the smaller nut counter-clockwise until you get the the cut off pressure down to 58 psi. Once there turn the bigger nut clockwise until you get the cut on pressure up to 40. The cut off should then be very close to 70. Minor tweeking to the smaller nut will get it exactly at 70.

The older the switch the slower they react. Make sure you have a functional pressure relief value before you start.

Old 07-01-07, 01:05 PM
W
Pressure switch

Excellent...Thanks... I think I have it pretty close to where it needs to be...I am at about 40/70 I am going to try just a few more slight adjustments to get it up to about 75 psi. But I am pretty happy with 40/70, great pressure and all zone run pretty full AND still have pressure for showers:-)

Thanks so much for your assistance! Have a super day.

Wit