sandpoint for sprinkler system

Old 07-03-07, 07:21 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi all,
Here is my problem I have a sand point that I just drove in. I am about 25 feet deep. I have about 4 ft of water in the well pipe. It is 1 1/4" point and pipe. I have a one way check valve at the top. I hooked up a flo tec 3/4 hp pump to it 3 days ago and it pumped water for about 10 minutes, then the moter on the pump quit. Took that pump back, figured if that one only lasted 10 minutes didn't want a flo tec.... bought a Red Lion 2 HP, hooked it up and it wouldn't prime. Then I had the idea of puting a 'T' above the check valve, and straight up I attached a pitcher pump (old hand water pump) and a ball valve under it. The pipe going to the pump also has a ball valve so I can prime the line with the hand pump then let the big pump take over. This worked GREAT for about 10 minutes then the big pump reduces what it is pumping to a trickle, prime it again with the hand pump and you are good for another 10 min. Then quits pumping. I don't know if I am at the break point of being to deep? I know the 3/4 flotec pump pumped just fine till the motor quit, not near the volume as the 2hp does but it would self prime and pump, the 2 hp pump will not prime itself and will not stay primed after using the hand pump. I also noticed a small amount of water leaking from the pump, I assume it shouldn't leak. Is this a bad pump too? Are red lion pumps a quality pump? I figured the cast iron housing and the $250.00 I paid for it ment it must be a good pump. How about flo tec? What is a good brand to buy? Do you think I need a deep well pump? Thanks

Old 07-03-07, 08:25 AM

Your sand point is probably plugging up and causing pump problems.

For watering, you can use a corser point id the water strata has enough water and is reasonably coarse. A 4' water depth is not much with the wrong sand/soil.

If not, try a different depth or a different location.

Dick

Old 07-03-07, 11:42 AM
R
I know that the point is not plugging, I can pump with the pitch pump without tuning off the main pump and can get everyting running again... therefore it tells me that I am not running out of water or plugging up otherwise the pitcher pump wouldn't work either. I talked to a well man this morning and he said that my problem is the pump is a sprinkler pump and they will not work on a sand point. is this true? He said to get a jet pump. any suggestions?

Old 07-04-07, 05:33 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I would say yes, you need a jet pump, but I will also say that you will never pump as much water with your hand pump as the electric pump can. So it is in fact very possible that the electric pump is simply running out of water. During the time the electric one is not pumping, the pipe is refilling, the pump gets primed, pumps until it runs out of water and the cycle starts all over.

BTW, if you are getting sand/debris in there, your sprinkler heads are going to clog up rather quickly.

Old 07-04-07, 07:50 AM
P
That Red Lion (also known as Monarch) pump is a good pump.
The deepest that a centrifugal pump can lift water from is about 25'. Four feet of water in a 1 1/4" pipe isn't alot.
That sprinkler pump will probably move 3-4 times the amount of water that a jet pump will pump.
I agree with what Pendragon has already stated. You are over pumping the well.
Go back to a jetpump, but stay away from Flotec. You have already found out why.
Ron

Old 07-05-07, 01:41 PM
R
I bought a Wayne sws75 3/4 hp jet pump it only pumps enough water to run one sprinkler, I put two on and it can't keep up. I do hear air "spit" out of the first sprinkler from time to time, I would assume that means either my connections are leaking or I am not deap enough with the point. The connections up top are not leaking as everything is staying full, but below the check valve I will loose prime over night. my check valve is not leaking though, (still water on the top side of it). I used thread tape to connect the impact couplers, would pounding these in cause them to loosen up and leak? or do you think I just need to go deeper.

Thanks again for all the help,
Rod

Old 07-06-07, 05:43 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
What is the outlet pressure on the sprinkler line?
You should set it for about 30 PSI, you might be able to eak out another head on there, but really, it sounds like your well just doesn't have the capacity to do what you want it to do.

Old 08-01-07, 03:43 PM
J
Help

Flow Tec is a cheap pump. I recommend you buy quality. If you want to buy from us I recommend Franklin pump and motor. If you get it around you I recommend you buy a Goulds. We sell both they are really great pumps and come with 5 year warranties. They are the only two brands we install everyday. We sell mostly Franklin though because there branch is better. If you want to buy a good quality pump that will give you adequate water contact me and I can answer your questions and get you set up and point you in the right direction even if you don't buy through met. Hope to help

Cyrus Herrera
Redding, California

Over 20 Yrs of experience
Family Owned & Operated
If it's water we do it.... fitration too!

Last edited by DIYaddict; 08-01-07 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Personal info posted not allowed

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: