Can I just replace the motor on a jet pump?

Old 07-03-07, 10:54 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can I just replace the motor on a jet pump?

I have a diamond 1/2 HP jet pump set up for deep-well operation.
The model number is CJT50.

A couple of days ago it became very noisy. I assume the rear bearing in the motor is starting to go - pump is actually fairly new.

But tonight the pump quit completely. Motor blew the fuse.

Question - Is it possible to replace just the motor on the pump rather than the whole pump. It would save me disconnecting all the plumbing, priming the system etc.
I would get the identical motor, but I'm not sure exactly how the motor is mounted to the pump and if there are any seals I need to worry about.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-07, 02:19 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Yes you can. Here is the website for Diamond Pumps:

http://www.diamondpump.com/jets/thermaxconvjet.html

You will have to find your local distributor via the website as they do not sell directly.

Old 07-04-07, 08:27 AM
P
That square flanged motor looks pretty standard. The tag on the motor should give you a frame size. It will same something like Fr. 48Y. Get a motor that matches whatever the other motor says.
You'll need to get a new mechanical seal also.
A local pumphouse should be able to match up motor and seal for you.
Ron

Old 07-04-07, 09:36 AM
J
Received 265 Votes on 230 Posts
You still need to disconnect all the plumbing. You can't remove the motor without taking the impellar off the front end which requires dismantling the pump and plumbing.

Old 07-05-07, 12:17 AM
K
Originally Posted by joed View Post
You still need to disconnect all the plumbing. You can't remove the motor without taking the impellar off the front end which requires dismantling the pump and plumbing.
That's basically what I was wondering about.
I was hoping that the motor and pump were two different units just coupled somehow and that I could just remove and replace the motor and not touch the plumbing at all.

Old 07-05-07, 08:15 AM
P
I'm not sure about Diamond pumps, but alot of the others will unbolt from the volute and slip out to be serviced. The volute (discharge head) stays in place.
Ron

Old 07-05-07, 10:41 AM
J
Received 265 Votes on 230 Posts
All the jet pumps I have seen(not that many) have the pump end cap of the motor as part of the pump housing. You can't remove the motor without dismantling pump. The impellar is screwed to the end of the motor shaft and needs to be removed before the pump will come apart. You might be able to leave the plumbing connected but you will need to reprime the pump.
I'm sure that there are probably some pumps where this isn't required.

Old 07-05-07, 11:50 PM
K
Thanks for the information so far.

I was going to bite the bullet and just get a new pump, but Home-Depot was out of stock and the other place only had a cast iron one which I don't want because they rust too fast.
The pump-room is underneath the front step of the house and is somewhat damp.

So now I'm back to see if I can fix this one, I'll check with a Pump place in the morning to see what they say about removing the motor without removing the pump part.

One tidbit of info I got tonight is that GSW-Diamond is a lousy brand and the pump places don't even carry them any more because they have too many problems with them.

Old 07-06-07, 10:32 AM
K
Called the plumbing place this morning.

They assured me I can remove the motor from the pump housing and leave all the plumbing connections intact - except of course the small pipe going to the pressure switch.

So I tried it and sure enough.
You take out the four large bolts that fasten the motor to the pump body and the motor with the impeller attached slides right out towards the back.
So no disassembling the hoses to the pump or the impeller on this model. Five minute job to do this - I spent a lot more time agonizing what to do and what was possible.