Losing prime on a shallow well overnight

Old 07-06-07, 07:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have a new 1hp Sears jet pump with the brand new check valve attached about 1 foot away. I can prime the pump in 30 seconds and draw ice cold water at 12.5 gpm for as long as I want to. When I close the valve, the psi remains steady at 55psi. The next day when I open the valve, water comes out, pressure drops below 40psi, which kicks on the pump. The psi slowly drop to 20psi, and after 20-30 seconds, the water stops coming and the psi drops to 0. Any ideas how I can keep the prime? Do I need a second check valve or is there something I am overlooking?

Thanks for your help.

Old 07-06-07, 07:55 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
are you using a pressure tank?

just to be sure, which side of the pump is the check valve on.

Is there a footvalve on the drawpipe down in the well?

Old 07-06-07, 09:31 PM
P
Sears pumps are notorious for this.
They have a built in checkvalve right at the suction port. If you install another one in front of it, the pump will pump out any water inside the pump casing before both checkvalves open up. Prime is lost.
Ideally, there should be a checkvalve on the end of the suction line, down in the well. This will keep the entire suction line full of water.
Ron

Old 07-07-07, 06:06 AM

I do have a pressure tank, whether or not any adjustment is needed to it, I'm not sure.

There is no foot valve in my well, just the check valve in the snout of the Sears pump. Here is a link to the pump: http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?pid=08302522000&vertical=LAWN&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes
The check valve is housed inside this product: http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Outdoor+Decor&pid=08329650000&vertical=LAWN&subcat=Fountains+%26+Pumps&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

I'm not sure if I'm able to add a second check valve down in the well, as the piping seems to be pretty secure. Would an additional check valve about a foot away from the first help, or should I roll up the sleeves and try taking the pipe out of the well?

Old 07-07-07, 08:42 AM
nap
the well;

how deep?

how old?

is this for a sprinkler system or such where turning it on and having to do so in a specific manner would not be of great concern or do you need it to remain on all thie time and simply operate correctly?

Old 07-07-07, 09:16 AM

The well was dug 9 years ago. It is approximately 15 feet deep.

I was hoping to get everything working correctly to have a sprinkler system installed. The way it's going now, I have to prime everytime I use it, so dreams of a sprinkler system are fading.

Old 07-07-07, 11:00 AM
nap
You may be able to pull the drop pipe yourself. That is quite shallow and it is not that old.

Before you do, hang on for some of the other guys to throw insome input. I am not a well person but there are some here that are quite knowledgable of wells. They would be able to direct you much better than I could.

What is the diameter of your well casing. I prefer submersible pumps. It would be overkill unneccesary for your situation but they seem to have fewer problems such as you are experiencing. They also pump better than a jet pump ever could .

Old 08-01-07, 04:36 PM
J
Cause of losing prime.

If the pump is above ground on the pipe that is going into the well and drawing the water (intake side) there will be a foot valve on it. It is a valve with a screen around it (usually. It just screws on the pipe. These go bad quite often and if anything gets stuck in the foot valve it will drain the pipe below the check valve you will then have air under the check valve and water above it. When the pump kicks on you will get good pressure till it hits that pocket of air below the check valve and it will lose prime.

Hole in pipe

Something is wrong down the well.

Hope this helps

Cyrus Herrera

Over 20 Yrs of experience
Family Owned & Operated
If it's water we do it.... fitration too!

Last edited by DIYaddict; 08-01-07 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Personal sites/email removed. Please read the rules.
Old 08-08-07, 07:45 AM
F
foot valve

I had this happen to me - ended up being the foot valve.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: