New to well water & really missing city water! HELP!

Old 07-10-07, 04:30 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy New to well water & really missing city water! HELP!

My husband and I purchased a house about 2 Ĺ weeks ago and after moving in, I went to check the water pressure and the water smelled putridónot a slight rotten egg smell, but a very strong one that stunk up the entire room within 5 seconds of having the water run. The house had been unoccupied for about 6 or 8 months with occasional use of the garden hose. We have always had city water and had no idea what to do. We called the seller who told us to try running it for a while since it hadnít been used. We tried this for an entire day and it only got worse. So then I started reading all the internet articles about getting rid of the smell with shock chlorination. We were going to attempt this ourselves, but thought it would be better to have a well company do it. After waiting 3 days for an appointment, the guy came out to tell us we did not dig deep enough for him to chlorinate and if he had to dig, it would be $95/hour extra and could take up to 1-2 hours (only took us 15 minutes), so he left and could not come back until 3 days later. He came back, chlorinated the well, couldnít really answer any of my questions and only gave me instructions after I asked what to do. Then insisted that the only thing that would work is to buy a filter from their company for $1500. The procedure I read on the internet said to drain the hot water heater so it could fill with the chlorinated water, but when I asked the guy, he told me I didnít have to do that. Well, after 3 days of letting the water sit and run until the chlorine smell was gone, the cold water was totally normal, but the hot water still smelled the same. I am assuming that this had something to do with the hot water heater not being treated, but at any rate, we still have not been able to shower at our own house since we moved in, and I am being told that chlorination is only a temporary fix. Also, our water pressure isnít as strong as it was before he chlorinated the well. There is also a filter about the size of a large vase between the tank and the pump, but I don't know if this is sufficient enough for the whole house.
So, now that I'm about to pull my hair out, my questions are
1) Is it possible to chlorinate the hot water heater somehow, and would this even help?
2) How can we increase our water pressure?
3) Is purchasing an expensive filter my only option?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-07, 01:38 AM
You should have run some of the chlorinated water into the hot water tank. There are bacteria that cause the smell and they can live in the well, water tank and hot water tank. As far as i know they're harmless less the smell. Using the water on a daily bases keeps them from building up.

Without knowing more about the filter you have there is no way of knowing if it is big enough for the whole house but it is a good bet it has a paper filter in it and bacteria love to eat that paper.

Open the filter (remember to close the shut-off valves first) and take out the filter. Dump out the water in the filter housing and fill it with bleach. Screw it back on (without the filter) and run hot water until you smell bleach. Then you can unscrew the filter housing and put in a new filter. Let the hot water system sit over night and run it in the morning. See if it that clears up.

If not you can shock your well yourself. No need to pay someone to do it. I normally use a gallon of bleach per 50 feet of well. Let it sit for a day or two and then run it out. Use an outside hydrant or hose to run out the majority. You don't want to fill up your septic tank with bleach.

To increase pressure you need to locate your pressure switch, open it, and adjust it using a wrench. Directions are normally on a sticker on the inside of the cap.

Old 07-11-07, 09:17 AM
F
Running the water heater at a hotter temp can help to kill the bacteria that cause the smell. I also have had to remove the sacrificial anode from water heaters, seem the bugs like to eat on those, too.

Filters in the system have a pressure drop associated with them (which increases as the filters plug). I've had to install parallel cartridge filters with larger 30 micron wound elements (instead of pleated paper) to get satisfactory flow and life without excessive pressure drop.

Old 07-11-07, 09:28 AM
E
Smile Thanx for the info

Thanx 4 the info because we were wondering if we could put bleach where the filter goes...we just didn't know if it would mess anything up. Also, would the pressure switch be located on the pump or the well? The well is underground so can't get to that.

Last edited by stickshift; 09-10-07 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Removed quoting of entire post
Old 07-11-07, 12:11 PM
Check out this picture. http://www.premierpumponline.com/well-rite/images/SmartTank_circle.gif
The switch is the gray box. To take off the cap there is one nut on the very top. Be aware that the screw terminals under the cap are hot (in the electrical sense). Don't touch them. You probably want to turn off the breaker to the pump before taking off the cover for the first time. To be on the safe side.

Old 08-01-07, 03:26 PM
J
some advice

You do not want a fiter between your pressure tank and your pump because if it plugs up your pressure switch (little grey box on top of pipe) will not tell your pump to shut off and you will blow a line. It needs to go after tank. To get the rotten egg smell (sulfur) out there are a few things you can do. If it is just sulfur gas you can get a storage tank and pump the water into it then have another pump boost the water to your house, costs quite a bit of money but has a lot of benefits to it. To figure out whether or not it's a gas you can put the water into a glass let it sit over night and if it doesn't smell like sulfur the next day that means it aerated out. Thats how the storage tank will work the water will sit in there and aerate out. The pipe that comes from the well that will fill the tank will be capped and have a bunch of holes in it that way it will spray into the tank and this helps aerate the smell out.

If it isn't that bad a smell you can do a little taste and odor filter but from what you are explaining it is pretty bad.

To get more water pressure I recommend a better pump. It will give you city like water pressure. A constant 60PSI of water pressure. It is a system you do not have to worry about / pay as much attention to it. I can guarntee you will be very happy with this system.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to email or call us and I'd be more than happy to educate you on having a well/and answer your questions.

Hope this helps even alittle bit!

Cyrus Herrera
Redding, California

Over 20 Yrs of experience
Family Owned & Operated
If it's water we do it.... fitration too!

Last edited by DIYaddict; 08-01-07 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Personal info deleted/Please read the rules
Old 08-20-07, 03:20 PM
G
Unhappy Well water -Miss city water,too

Well has clearwater iron and ph of 5.5. Sears says Iron remover(potassium permanganate) & softener are working but acid water is the problem. Hot water stinks more so I'll attempt to remove the anode from water heater. 20 years old so I'll probably bust it.Tried running Clorox through the hot water tank and faucets. Everyone I talk to wants to replace with Terminox Iron,Sulfur and Manganese filter and calcite/magnesium oxide system. They want big bucks! I'm confused and going broke.