septic help...

Old 07-12-07, 07:54 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
septic help...

I just bought a house and the septic system is one that I know nothing about. It appears to be an airation system. One tank with a fiberglass lid and an external air pump. I'm used to addind clorine to our old system, what, if anything do I do to this one?

Old 07-14-07, 09:21 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Well around here we do nothing to them unless the output water appears milky then we add the clorine tablet. Do a web search on "Airation septic service" for info on maintainence. There is a 3 inch pipe on the ones I have seen to add the tablets used for swimming pools. Some Folks just put the tablets in every so often and keep the pipe full of tablets. The pipe has a screen so the tablet does not go all the way into the tank, just enough to be in the outflow water.

Old 07-14-07, 09:45 AM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
before you go and kill off all that desired bacteria, you need to fnd out more about your system.

The only systems that require chlorination (that I am aware of) are of the type that dispurse the effluent above ground (sprinkler)

If you have a leachbed system, you would'nt want to chlorinate it.

Do you have access to the old owners of the property? If so, I would suggest contacting them and finding out whatever you can about the system. They may know who installed it so you could speak directly to the installer as to what was installed.

As well, in most areas, a septic system requires a permit so there should be a permit and drawing, or at least details, of the system at your local building or health department.

In the airation systems that use a leachbed, the airation simply breaks up the particles and allows aerobic bacteria to digest the solids in the waste water. The last thing you want to do to that is kill off the bacteria.

Learn before you take any action.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: