Correct Pump to feed sprinklers from lake

Old 07-16-07, 09:12 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Correct Pump to feed sprinklers from lake

I am still trying to get the pressure I need to feed my 5 zone sprinkler system. First I had a 1hp shallow well pump that gave me 75% of the pressure I need. I was told here on the forum that I had the wrong type of pump, so I got a 1 1/2 hp Wayne Sprinkler Pump. With that, I can't get ANY water to the sprinklers. I haven't ruled out a mistake on my part, but how much can you screw up? I had the 1hp pump working.

I asked a local pump installer who sets up sprinkler systems. He says the sprinkler pump I just bought is for moving a large volume of water, not for pressure. He says the 1hp pump should work, and to change the sprinkler heads to accomodate the lower pressure.

So should I try to find a higher hp shallow pump, upgrade to a deep well pump, or keep messing with the sprinkler pump? I appreciate the help I've gotten on this forum.

My set up is 70 feet of 1 1/4" pipe from lake to pump, vertical lift of 5 feet. 3 feet of pipe from pump to sprinkler intake.

thanks
Doug

Old 07-18-07, 07:23 AM
P
Sprinkler pumps are a different type pump than jet pumps. Sprinkler pumps are indeed designed to move alot of water at lower pressures than a jet pump.
The 70' feet of suction line between pump and lake may be a problem for the sprinkler pump, too. A jet pump has a nozzle and venturi tube (the "jet" part) that makes it alot easier for it to draw water from longer distances.
Alot of factors need to be considered when sizing a pump for a particular job.
Distance to water supply, pipe sizing, elevation changes, demand, length of piping to figure friction losses, etc. are all considerations.
Might be time to call in a pro to figure it out.
Ron

Old 07-18-07, 09:24 AM
L
More info on my sprinkler system

The company that installed the sprinkler heads says I needs 10-12 gallons per minute, at 40-50 PSI. Lift from lake to pump is 5 feet with a 70 foot pipe run. Then the pump has to push it up another 5 feet thru a 3/4" copper pipe for about 20 feet. Hope this helps.

thanks for the help
Doug

Old 07-18-07, 10:12 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Here I find it works a lot better if we put the pumps on the dock or by the intake at the lake. Like said you dont want a sprinkler pump

Old 07-19-07, 05:40 AM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
pumps push alot better than they pull. i'm also a little concerned about the 3/4" line supplying enough to your zones. you are probably ok if you're not using high gpm heads.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: