Well pump/pressure switch chatter/cavatattion

Old 09-17-07, 11:39 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well pump/pressure switch chatter/cavatattion

I recently had to move by pressure tank from where it was, just where my supply comes thru the wall from the deep well, over 15’ to the corner of the basement. For a long time it worked fine. Now, ever time the pressure diminishes and the pump turns on the pressure switch cycles on and off rapidly and the pressure gage fluctuates from 10-30 pounds. After some time the fluctuation slows and eventually the pump shuts off when the pressure reaches 45 pounds. I thought I had an air lock in the line because I had to run the line up and over a door. I installed a bleeder valve in the upper most point. Found no air in the line and this had no effect. Since the pressure fluctuates it seems there’s air in the lines and the pump is not working against solid water pressure. Has anyone had a similar problem or have a suggestion?
Thanks.
M. Leiweke

Old 09-17-07, 12:31 PM
F
Originally Posted by M Leiweke View Post
I recently had to move by pressure tank from where it was, just where my supply comes thru the wall from the deep well, over 15’ to the corner of the basement. For a long time it worked fine. Now, ever time the pressure diminishes and the pump turns on the pressure switch cycles on and off rapidly and the pressure gage fluctuates from 10-30 pounds. After some time the fluctuation slows and eventually the pump shuts off when the pressure reaches 45 pounds. I thought I had an air lock in the line because I had to run the line up and over a door. I installed a bleeder valve in the upper most point. Found no air in the line and this had no effect. Since the pressure fluctuates it seems there’s air in the lines and the pump is not working against solid water pressure. Has anyone had a similar problem or have a suggestion?
Thanks.
M. Leiweke
have you checked your foot valve?

Old 09-17-07, 01:02 PM
M
Thanks.
M. Leiweke
More accurately describe your well equipment. Is this a jet pump or submersible? Do you have a standard tank or a bladder tank? How deep is the well? How deep is the pump/foot valve? What is the height of the water?

What you are describing is water log, not air lock. If you have a bladder tank check the air pressure, if you have a standard tank check the air control valve.

Old 09-17-07, 01:33 PM
M
Reply to mdtaylor

mdtaylor,
Submersible pump, bladder tank, aprox 300 ft. deep well. What is a pump/foot valve? Height of water from what?
I did check the air pressure and it's 45# on the bladder.

thanks for you feedback.

Mike

Old 09-17-07, 01:37 PM
M
You would not have a foot valve on a submersible.

Did you check the bladder pressure correctly? That is, turn off the pump completely, and drain the water out of the system completely. Then wait and hour and check the pressure.

Old 09-17-07, 01:54 PM
M
2nd reply to mdtaylor

mdtaylor,
I did it wrong! I try to find time tonight and drain the system and recheck the pressure in the blader.
Thanks, I'll let you know what I find.

Mike

Old 09-19-07, 07:23 AM
P
Where and how is the pressure switch mounted? Is it mounted directly on the line to the tank? Before or after the tank?
Ron

Old 09-19-07, 11:20 AM
M
Reply to Pumpman

The switch is in a tee off the main line before the tank. The switch is about 12' from the tank, not less than a foot like it used to be. I took the easy way out, otherwise I had to add extend the electric the 12' and back.
Could the location be part of my problem? It worked fine for months after I moved the tank.

Mike

Old 09-19-07, 12:04 PM
M
Could the location be part of my problem? It worked fine for months after I moved the tank.
Only if you installed a check valve between the switch and the tank, but it would NOT have been working right from the start, and would not have caused the symptoms you describe.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: