Gray Water Recovery systems

Old 10-11-07, 04:49 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gray Water Recovery systems

Looking to build a new house that will be on septic. It will have 3 bathrooms. I;m looking to only hook up the toilets and maybe the kitchen sinl to it and send all of the other used water to a recovery system to use a irrigation. Anybody out there have one and what has been your experience?

Thanx

Old 10-11-07, 06:00 AM
We don't have one because of our (lack of) water rights. Make sure that you own your water, even after it's gone into the ground. The city of denver owns every drop on our property, and the county does not differentiate between grey and black water, so we run the risk of a very large fine if we recycle our greywater. So instead we put the watering can under the gutter spout

Old 10-11-07, 09:17 PM
G
For clarification, more than likely we will be building in the country where we will have our own well

Old 10-12-07, 07:58 AM
Gary, we have our own well and live in a semi-rural area. We own the well but not the water, although a few folks up here own their water rights. It's a really stupid situation. We aren't supposed to have hose bibs because outside watering is against the rules. Even collecting rain water is considered taking water away from the water table (even though you may be watering the garden with it later). Just a heads up to be aware of what you can and cannot do IF you don't have water rights. If you do, AWESOME!

Old 10-12-07, 09:58 AM
V
Vey
--We own the well but not the water--

Most people in the East don't have these troubles. So I'm going to take a stab at the *real* question.

I set up a little gray water system because I was just "repairing" one that was there (wink,wink) about 20 years ago. The old brick lined drywell had failed. The drywell was original and there because the run between the kitchen sink and the septic tank could not have been made so the piping had sufficient fall for the drain.

All I did was make a tank from a plastic 55 gallon drum and make a 20 foot drainfield with 3" pipe. I made a grease and food trap out of a plastic box with a tight lid and put it ahead of the drum. I cleaned the filter maybe once a year.

I also took the washing machine off the septic tank because the sudden rushes of water was ruining the drain field. I just connected a garden hose and ran it outside to water the trees and bushes. There are no little children here, so there is no fecal matter or other nasties in the wash water.

The house I am living in now has city water and sewer, but I still use the wash machine water for irrigation. The percolation rate is unbelievably good, so there is no water laying around on the surface.

You might want to wait until after the house is built before you make any major changes. Alternatively, just go down to the county office and ask. There are all sorts of "green initiatives" going on now, so if you can show the county engineer a plan that others are doing elsewhere, you may be pleasantly surprised at his answer.

If you live in a place that freezes, you may want to take that into account.

Old 10-13-07, 10:26 AM
B
Hi, an additional benefit to doing this is it will save your septic tank...our tank has not had a problem ever--never been pumped in 25 years--must be fos by now! Just need to build a sand filter or something for a filter for the grey water to catch grease and particles but if you can do it, it's great for fruit trees and landscaping.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: