Pump Cycles On 8 sec and Off 2 min

Old 10-30-07, 08:48 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pump Cycles On 8 sec and Off 2 min

My well pump cycles on for 8 seconds and then stays off for 2 minutes. I isolated from any further plumbing after the pump/motor(by a valve). The system is a heat pump. So, there is no water storage tank w blatter. The pump will run whole time with demand from heat pump....But problem is when not in demand it cycles. It is deep jet: Packer style, 1/2 hp (Myers HR 500). I replaced the foot valve 2 yrs ago(would not hold prime). Could this be the foot valve again? I checked for a leak. Did not detect any @ pump. Any other suggestions? Also, can I install a check valve on supply line (1 1/4"), before the pump instead of pulling well apart?

Last edited by joeharley; 10-30-07 at 08:49 PM. Reason: clarification
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-07, 05:34 AM
J
Received 139 Votes on 125 Posts
Sounds like a leak. That pump sounds like a demand pump. It probably has a pressure switch in it even though there is no pressure tank. If the foot valve was leaking it would certainly cause your problem.

Old 10-31-07, 06:42 AM
J
Yes, there is a typical pressure switch....Also a small (2gal?) blatter tank mounted on top of pump.
Is it possible to put a check valve above ground? What would cause the foot valve to fail after only 2 years?

Old 11-01-07, 02:36 AM
V
Vey
"What would cause the foot valve to fail after only 2 years?"

I've bought bad ones right out of the box.

Old 11-02-07, 11:08 AM
J
Pull the Foot Valve?

This system does not have a pressure regulator or guage. I put a tire guage on the small tank mounted on top of the pump(2gal?). The guage reads 28lbs.=ON...38lbs=OFF.The pressure switch is a Square D with NO info for a factory pre-set(if they have one).
once the pump runs up to 38lbs. and cut OFF..it very slowly leaks down to 28lbs and cuts ON.
Vey,a valve bad right from the box is defective. But one that worked fine for over 2yrs.might be defetive(for lack of longevity) or another cause of failure: like debris. I am sure there are other causes I don't know.
It is a lot of trouble pulling the foot valve. I don't want to do that unless it is necessarily required. And what steps can be taken to ensure the foot valve longevity.