Air over water galvanized tank question

Old 11-05-07, 11:05 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Air over water galvanized tank question

What would the symptom be if I lowered the water too much in an air over water galvanized tank?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-07, 11:32 AM
F
Did you really mean to ask if you lowered the air precharge pressure too much?

Answer: The water pressure in the house would drop to nothing and then the pump would come on and the flow/pressure would come back up.

Old 11-05-07, 11:46 AM
N
No I am not using a precharged tank.
I have a 43 gallon galvanized tank and I am trying to troubleshoot a low water volume problem. I have a shallow well jet pump set to 30/50 psi. The tank is so old it does not have a pressure switch. This is a recent problem and I want to eliminate that the water tank is balanced correctly with the proper air over water ratio. I know that there is not too much water, because the pump runs for more then a minute to recharge.

I am also not sure if the pump is not performing to capacity or that the water table has dropped.

Old 11-05-07, 12:16 PM
J
Received 210 Votes on 186 Posts
Not enough air = pump cycling on/off rapidly when water is used.

Too much air would balance itself out by blowing air out the faucets as faucet was opened. Turn off pump and open faucet untill wir stops then turn pump back on.

Why don't you tell us your symptoms and maybe we can guide you.

Old 11-05-07, 02:47 PM
N
The problem is no water pressure. I am on a 30 yr old drilled well to 90 feet and it was artesian when first drilled. It was setup as a shallow well with a myers hj50s. 1/2 horse mtr w/30/50 switch.

Example if the tank is sitting at 50 lbs and you flush the toilet the water in the sink just trickles out.

I wish it was the pump but I don't think it is since the pumps is not on at that time.

my big worry is that the water table is down about 10 feet. I know this because I have a bottom spring feed pond and it's down to feet. I don't want to just buy a bigger jet pump 3/4 or 1 horse. I know the water pressure is related to the depth of the water and how high it must be pumped.

I was hoping to verify the tank had the proper water level and I could cross that off.

I know a lot of people would say put in a charged tank but we have high iron and I know that shortens the bladder life.

The system use to be fine. The only other reason to replace the pump is if I suspect the pump is clogged with iron and reducing the flow even when the pump is not on.

but again if the water table is permanently at this level I will need a complete overhaul to the well and install a submersible pump setup.

Old 11-05-07, 04:18 PM
J
Received 210 Votes on 186 Posts
Example if the tank is sitting at 50 lbs and you flush the toilet the water in the sink just trickles out.
Is the pump running at this time? Does the water pressure build back up? how long does it take to build up?

Old 11-05-07, 04:54 PM
V
Vey
To reset a galvanized tank, let out all the air and drain all the water out of it. All of it. You got that? All of it. You may have to press down on the schraeder (air) valve to get all the water out since there may be some suction pressure.

Seal it up and don't let any air in or out. Then turn the pump on. The water will create pressure inside the tank as it fills up.

That's it and you are good to go. So simple my mother could do it.

Old 11-08-07, 04:32 AM
M
If the pump is not on, ANYTIME the pump is not on, the pressure should be within the limits of the pressure switch settings. Is it? Does the pump cut in at the low setting and cut out at the high setting?

(If so...) Then, immediately after the pump runs and cuts out at the high setting, flush the toilet and run the sink (simulate your condition) and observe the tank pressure.

If you notice a small or almost no change in pressure and the sink is running with low pressure then you have an obstruction.

As has been stated, too much air will eventually start sending air out your plumbing fixtures. And you seem to know what the symptoms are if there is not enough air, so look elsewhere for now if you are not getting air out the sink.

I'd be looking for an obstruction or obstructions. Test flow and pressure from outside faucets, clean aerators, flush pressure pipes, etc.