Stinking Well Water

Old 11-19-07, 10:35 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stinking Well Water

I got it. Now how do I chlorinate the well.I see on top of the well cap there are 4 bolts holding it on to the pipe and a plug.
Can I remove that plug and pour clorox down the hole and will it reach the water through this hole.How much clorox should I use and how long before we can use the water again.
any help would be helpful.

Old 11-19-07, 01:57 PM
G

Is
anybody
out
there?

Old 11-19-07, 11:16 PM
J
Are you sure the stink if from the source water and not the hot water heater?
What does it smell like?
And tell us more about your system. (submersible pump yes/no, pressure tanks, etc.)

Old 11-20-07, 11:00 AM
G
Not 100% sure it is coming from the well, but I did drain the water heater and I thought that may help, but it is still there.
Not really a rotten egg odor, it's hard to explain.
Yes the pump is submersed and there is a bladder tank next to the Myers pump.

Old 11-21-07, 05:44 AM
M
You should have a hose bibb between the well head and the pressure tank. If not locate the first hose bibb in the system. Preferably an outside hose bibb that is on the main supply line before it goes into the house. Is the smell there?

If so, it is possible that the smell is coming from the pressure tank, but that would not be my first choice. To chlorinate a well you need a chemical injection pump that injects the chlorine into the pipe between the well head and the pressure tank. The injection pump runs when the well pump runs and injects a solution of diluted household (non scented) bleach into the water as it comes out of the ground. The amount to be injected is determined by the smell of water as it comes out of the first inside faucet. You want the highest setting that does NOT produce a chlorine smell. That will get you close.

What you are describing is sterilizing a well. You shouldn't need to be doing that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: