Drinking Water Well problems

Old 12-01-07, 07:00 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Drinking Water Well problems

Woke up Saturday mourning and heard my well pump cycling on and off.

At first I thought it was the water conditioner being cleaned.
( it was not this)

It continued for 4 hours at a regular on off at maybe 1 minute off to 2 minutes on.

It acted like a water line had broken.

When I pulled the plug on the pump ALL of the water drained out of the pressurized holding tank.

I repressurized the tank with an air pump and it held a steady air pressure. I tried to let the water pump run but it would not prime.

I tried pouring water into it by the valve attached for samples.

I tried using a wet / dry vacuum cleaner to pull up the water to the pump.

NOTHING WORKED !!!

Any help ?

dave

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-07, 08:35 AM
M
Originally Posted by GENERICLOSER738 View Post
Woke up Saturday mourning and heard my well pump cycling on and off.
I'm assuming this is a jet pump?

It continued for 4 hours at a regular on off at maybe 1 minute off to 2 minutes on.
What was causing it to cycle? The pressure switch or the internal pump over temp switch (if yours has one?)

When I pulled the plug on the pump ALL of the water drained out of the pressurized holding tank.
That would be expected.

I repressurized the tank with an air pump and it held a steady air pressure.
This should not have been necessary. Why did you do this? Did you check the pressure prior to doing this? If, in fact the pressure was low, filling it to correct pressure was the right thing to do.

I tried pouring water into it by the valve attached for samples.
You're assuming the pump lost a prime. You will likely not be able to get enough water into the pipe to start the prime.

I tried using a wet / dry vacuum cleaner to pull up the water to the pump.
In theory this could work, if the vacuum has enough power to lift the water from the depth of the well. But, if you indeed has a busted pipe down in the well then nothing short of pulling the pipe out of the well will fix your problem.

It acted like a water line had broken.
It very well could be, down in the well. Only pulling the pipe will fix it. You can test this by pressurizing the pipe down in the well, but it is difficult to ensure that you are not pressurizing your tank and house due to poorly seated gate valves. If you cannot pressurize the pipe then your foot valve is likely bad, not a broken pipe. But, you never know until you pull it.

Old 12-02-07, 09:26 AM
J
Received 270 Votes on 234 Posts
Sounds to me like your orignal problem was a stuck foot valve. The tank pressurizes, the pump shuts off, all the water flows out of the tank back into the well through the open foot valve, the pump starts, repeat.

Old 12-02-07, 05:18 PM
G
Smile

Originally Posted by mdtaylor View Post
I'm assuming this is a jet pump?

What was causing it to cycle? The pressure switch or the internal pump over temp switch (if yours has one?)

That would be expected.

This should not have been necessary. Why did you do this? Did you check the pressure prior to doing this? If, in fact the pressure was low, filling it to correct pressure was the right thing to do.

You're assuming the pump lost a prime. You will likely not be able to get enough water into the pipe to start the prime.

In theory this could work, if the vacuum has enough power to lift the water from the depth of the well. But, if you indeed has a busted pipe down in the well then nothing short of pulling the pipe out of the well will fix your problem.

It very well could be, down in the well. Only pulling the pipe will fix it. You can test this by pressurizing the pipe down in the well, but it is difficult to ensure that you are not pressurizing your tank and house due to poorly seated gate valves. If you cannot pressurize the pipe then your foot valve is likely bad, not a broken pipe. But, you never know until you pull it.
The pressure switch was causing it to cycle at exact on off times set by the switch. ( I was hidin' and watchin' ). A thermal overload would have not have bean at exact intervals, besides I am familiar with the pressure switch on off points.

REPLY >>> It is not a jet pump. The pump sits on top of the
pressurized holding tank in my garage. This is Florida and wells do not have to be very deep to hit good drinking water.
( practically on the surface for an irrigation well). Cheap centrifugal pump I believe.

REPLY >>> The reason I believe it was not a broken pipe is the fact that the pump could in fact pull enough water to hit the shut off point.

A broken pipe would have sucked too much air and sand and never allowed the pump enough water to refill the tank and hit the shutoff point.

What really convinces me that it is a defective check valve is the fact that the water flushed out so rapidly when I pulled the pump power. A cracked pipe would have not drained so rapidly. A broken pipe of that size of a breach would never allow a recharge of the tank to the shut off point.

( I may eat my words as soon as we pull it. )

Thanks for your input !

dave

Old 12-02-07, 05:25 PM
G
Talking Nothing else makes any sense !!! ( I agree )

Originally Posted by joed View Post
Sounds to me like your orignal problem was a stuck foot valve. The tank pressurizes, the pump shuts off, all the water flows out of the tank back into the well through the open foot valve, the pump starts, repeat.
Nothing else makes any sense !!! ( I agree )

( thanks for your input )

dave

Old 12-03-07, 08:37 PM
G
Talking Repair Complete

Who ever installed this pump did me a big favor.

The check valve is located at the top of the well and was replaced.

It would have bean easier to drill a new well instead of trying to drag this one up at least 100 feet. Schedule 40 pipe but olde and too much trouble.

My mistake, it is a Jet Pump.

Guzzled it and works as designed.

Thanks to all for your input.

dave