well suction pressure question

Old 12-05-07, 03:31 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
well suction pressure question

I have an 1.25" galvanized shallow well at my house. It originally supplied the house water, but now the house is hooked up on municipal water. The well didn't have a pump when I bought this house, and I wanted to hook one up for irrigation purposes. There are two pipes coming out of the ground, a big one and a small one, which are connected underground somewhere. The 1.25" (big pipe) galvanized well pipe runs down about 4 inches into the ground, then horizontally out into the yard, then down into the ground. There is a 3/4" (small pipe) pipe teed into the wellpipe somewhere. When i tried to prime the well it sucked air into the small pipe. So I put a cap on the small pipe, and got the well to prime. I have a 1hp shallow well pump with bladder tank. It seems to run all the time and has low pressure. My question is... Could the 3/4" capped pipe be causing my well to have bad pressure? I'm sure in order to get the well to prime all the air had to be sucked out of the capped 3/4" pipe and created some type of vaccum. Would digging up, removing, and capping it off closer to the well pipe get me better pressure? Sorry this has been such a long, drawn out post.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-07, 11:32 AM
F
Are you positive that the 3/4" pipe does not go down into the well with the other pipe? Such a two-pipe setup could indicate that a convertible jet (from a convertible jet pump) was placed in the well.

The only logical reason to tee into the 1 1/4" pipe would be to prime the line, but that would only work if at the bottom of the well there was a functioning check valve assembly. Otherwise, your prime would drain straight into the well.

How deep is the water in the well? A shallow well jet pump can only lift 18 feet, so that would be your pumping limit (depth limit).

Yes, I suppose air in the 3/4" line could be messing with your prime. Perhaps hooking up city water to the 3/4" line during pump operation would fill the line and help clear any air out of the system.

Old 12-06-07, 12:47 PM
G
The water table is at about 14 feet right now. The pump I have is rated for 26 ft. lift. I don't know if the smaller pipe goes down in the well, I need to dig around and figure that out.

Old 12-08-07, 05:05 AM
J
Ive never seen or heard of a jet pack. A jet pack would need to be on a straight vertical pipe that is inside of the larger well pipe/casing.

There are pitless adapters for concentric piping, but I believe they only go to the smallest size of 2. And I dont think this sounds like what you are describing.

You need to figure out how these pipe are connected