Unused Septic

Old 12-13-07, 07:23 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unused Septic

Iím buying a house that has a septic system and the house has been vacant for a year. When the current owner purchased the home he had the tank pumped & certified. Most likely I will have an inspection/certification as well. My specific question is can anyone advise as to "how" I should go about jumpstarting a dormant septic system, what bugs to add and how much etc.. Thanks in advance for your response!

Old 12-14-07, 05:24 AM
V
Vey
There isn't much to do. Just start using it. In theory that will be all you need and I have found that theory to be true.

But if you like, after a month, you could go down to the hardware store and pick up some enzyme additive. You want the kind that comes in a 16 oz or more plastic jar, not Rid-X. The guys at the hardware store will help you with that.

After that, you shouldn't need to do anything special. NO BLEACH! Ban it from the house! Use single ply toilet paper (Scott brand).

Old 12-14-07, 05:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 357 Votes on 314 Posts
My grandfather always swore by flushing a bag of yeast down the system, once a month - he never had any septic issues. I do the same [well I forget about 1/2 the time ] and have never had any problems with my 18 yr old system

Old 12-14-07, 08:49 AM
S
I try not to chime in when there are other valid replys to a thread, such as the ones from marksr and Vey. However, ther are so many "opinions" on septic tank additives that I had to respond. I am not a biologist or expert on bacteria in general. My family has been in the septic system business for 68 years(I'm third generation). What I've seen over the years is not to mess with the delicate environment of a normally functioning septic tank. There are enough types of areobic and anaerobic bacteria present in the human digestive tract to establish or re-establish the proper balance in a septic tank. Adding additives of any kind to a septic tank will absolutely disrupt the natural biological breakdown process already in motion.

The flip side is that you can also do harm by adding harsh chemicals such as bleach, paint thinner, unsed medications, etc. These should be avoided.
How do I know these things? Honestly, it's by "observing" the contents in a septic tank before cleaning. There are distinct "flavors and smells" that are present in a healthy tank versus a non-healthy tank. My best advice is to find a professional and competent septic cleaning contractor in your area and use him. Try to stick with one guy so he can establish the proper cleaning cycle for your particular home.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: