Septic tank inlet clogg

Old 12-18-07, 03:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Septic tank inlet clogg

I seem to be getting a lot of cloggs in my septic tank inlet. Mostly excess TP from excessive users. Ive been able to clear the problem by opening the tank and poking around the inlet with a stick until the offensive blockage is broken up. This always makes for an interesting night.
Should the pipe coming from the house into the tank have any type of fitting on the end of it? There seems to be a Tee at the end of the pipe just inside the tank where everything gets clogged.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-07, 04:25 PM
Received 75 Votes on 69 Posts
The T is normal. It keeps the floating solids from clogging the inlet.
How much solids are inthe tank? It might be time for a pump out.

Old 12-18-07, 04:43 PM
WTank usage is about two years. Will have moved in here 2 years ago in march of 08.
The solids were about 8-10 inches from the top.

Old 12-18-07, 05:49 PM
1. Make sure that the tank is not in need of a cleaning. The scum layer on top of the tank should be no more than 6" thick. The airspace (which is what I believe your talking about )should be 8-10" from the ceiling of the tank. This is a normal static height of the liquid in the tank. If the house is brand new, then you are on a two year cycle. If it is new to you, then the previous owner might not have cleaned it before you moved in.
2. Make sure that the inlet line from the house is not damaged. If there is a breach in the line, the liquids may seep out and let the solids and some liquid slowly collect at the T baffle. A good way to check is to remove the lid from the tank, then if you have a cleanout cap in the basement, CAREFULLY REMOVE IT. Have a bucket handy, wear eye protection and remove the cap slowly, so you dont get spalshed. Then shine a flashlight down the line and see if you can look into the tank. The line should be straight with no sags or breaks. If you cannot see into the tank, it may also mean that there is an elbow that you cannot see around.
Question.......How much pitch is there on the inlet line?
Asked another way.....How much lower is the tank than the house? I do about 4-5 service calls a week with this type of problem so its easy to diagnose. It may take a little while for me to reply back. GS

Old 12-18-07, 06:35 PM
Yup, brand new house. Ill check the scum thickness. Yes the air space is about 8-10". I can check that and verify at the same time.
I do have a clean out in the basement. Its a straight shot into the tank.
According to my plan, the foundation outlet is at 496.70' and the tank inlet is at 496.5' with a 10' pc of pvc.

When the line is clear, you can hear the water in the line flowing out past the foundation. With the tank cover off, you can hear it splashing out of the Tee at the inlet.

Old 12-19-07, 08:56 AM
OK Thats not a lot of pitch on that pipe. Next, is your house a one or two story? If it's a one story, there is not a lot of velocity coming down the pipe. Also, being a new house it has the 1.6 gal flush toilets. What I've seen is that if you do not hold the flush lever down until the tank empties, then you get a small amount of water trying to push the load downstream. This is more importan when going "number 2". Also make sure no one is flushing down baby wipes, tampons, pads, etc. Only toilet paper and what comes out of you.

When you have the tank cleaned, try and be there. Look at the inlet T and make sure that the verticle section it is longer than 12" down into the tank. I've seen lazy installers do silly things. If it is not long enough, then the solids wont push down through the scum layer. GS

Old 12-19-07, 01:37 PM
Its a 2 story house. Just before the pipe exits the foundation, there is a roughly 2 foot drop from the waste line to the cleanout.
Well, I was the lazy idiot that installed it. I bet you thats my problem, I just put the supplied Tee on the end of the pipe and didnt use any type of extension kit.

Ive told the certain someone that they cant be using half a roll each visit.

Old 12-19-07, 02:01 PM
Make sure the verticle piece is between 12-18". If you have a septic tank supplier around they have the pre-made inlet T

If not, you'll have to make one.

Good Luck, GS