Plumber put crack in sump pump PVC pipe

Old 12-20-07, 04:46 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Plumber put crack in sump pump PVC pipe

So I had a new pump installed and when the plumber attached the PVC pipe from the pump going to the outside, he put a 2 inch crack/slit in the PVC. The slit is just above the pump and is below the top of the well so when the water comes out of the crack it goes right back into the well.

He said this was to alleviate some pressure on the pump and that it would help it last longer. The old pump lasted just under 4 years due to its' pattern of use.

I have never heard of this though. Legit logic here?

Thanks for any info.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-07, 05:06 AM
I see it in all commercial applications. It also helps incase the pump gets stuck on. That way the pump won't run dry and burn up as easily.

Old 12-20-07, 07:36 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Many manufacturers recommended or require a (typically 3/16”) “relief hole” to prevent air-lock when a check valve is installed, see for example:

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/arc...php/t-545.html

A “slit or crack” seem odd to me though, why not just drill a hole?

Old 12-20-07, 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
Many manufacturers recommended or require a (typically 3/16”) “relief hole” to prevent air-lock when a check valve is installed, see for example:

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/arc...php/t-545.html

A “slit or crack” seem odd to me though, why not just drill a hole?
Thanks for the info. We do have a check valve.

Reason he didn't drill a hole was b/c my basement was flooded and he was standing in a pool of water and did not have a cordless drill. Easier to take a knife and just cut it.

Old 12-20-07, 09:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by jstewie23 View Post
Reason he didn't drill a hole was b/c my basement was flooded and he was standing in a pool of water and did not have a cordless drill. Easier to take a knife and just cut it.
I guess - when I see that sort of stuff at an inspection, it's a red flag to look closely at the rest of the component or system,

In the case of a sump or ejectors pump that's things like floats potentially obstructed by materials left in the sump, reversed check valves (really!), mild steel band clamps (look for rusting) power via extension cords, and the like.

Old 12-21-07, 04:36 AM
Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
I guess - when I see that sort of stuff at an inspection, it's a red flag to look closely at the rest of the component or system,

In the case of a sump or ejectors pump that's things like floats potentially obstructed by materials left in the sump, reversed check valves (really!), mild steel band clamps (look for rusting) power via extension cords, and the like.
I looked more closely at the pipe last night. It is an actual hole not a slit/crack. Supposed to rain here in NJ this weekend so I will get a good test for the new pump.