Sump pump running slow

Old 01-02-08, 05:25 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Sump pump running slow

Hi All,

I was hoping someone can help me with a sump pump problem. I live in a high water table area and I actually have two sump pumps. I have rusty sludge that builds up on the pump and in the discharger pipes. I clean both on a regular basis so I know the pipes aren't blocked.

My problem is that one of the pumps seem to be running on the sluggish side. Takes 15 seconds longer to pump the water out than my other pump. (The second pump has a longer discharger pipe as well). Someone mentioned to me about the pump may need to have a primer hole in the pipe. Can anyone tell me if this is necessary, if so where and how big do I need to drill it? Do you think this may be causing the pump to run slow?

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

Please Help,
RFWWORKER

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-08, 06:01 PM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by RFWWorker View Post
Someone mentioned to me about the pump may need to have a primer hole in the pipe. Can anyone tell me if this is necessary, if so where and how big do I need to drill it?
Many manufacturers recommended or require a (typically 3/16”) “relief hole” to prevent air-lock when a check valve is installed, see for example:

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/arc...php/t-545.html

Old 01-02-08, 06:25 PM
R
Relief Hole

Thanks Michael!

Do you think that not having that hole in the discharge pipe may have damaged the pump slightly?

Regards,

RFW

Old 01-08-08, 03:26 PM
P
slow sump pump

The hole which is to prevent vapor lock is common practice and resolves a issue where the pump may run but not pump water due to air being trapped inside the impeller and the discharge check valve. Pumps do not pump air only water, therefore a small hole in the discharge elbow gives this air somewhere to vent out to so the water can displace the air bubble and start pumping water. It will not cause a pump to be sluggish without the hole. Pump will pump or not, but not sluggish. I would question since you can not measure the input of water coming in both pits that the slower one actually has faster incoming water. You may want to also check the check valve operation. I assume both pumps have their own discharge lines completely, no tee together at any point. I also assume the pumps are the exact same model and sitting on the same type of a solid sump basin bottom surface.

Jeff