New Septic System questions

Old 01-05-08, 11:39 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question New Septic System questions

Sytem installed last week. Husband told to mix 1 cup sugar with 1 cup of yeast, put in commode bowl and flush. And, to do this once a month. Is this correct or incorrect? We have never had a septic prior so we ARE "pre schoolers" on this!
Please advise and thank you for your responses.

Old 01-06-08, 01:25 AM
T
Septic Tank Additives

"Septic tank additives are not recommended. Additives are unnecessary to the proper operation of household systems and may cause the sludge and scum in the septic tank to be discharged into the absorption field, resulting in premature failure. Some additives may actually pollute groundwater." For more information on septic tank care and maintenance, go to http://www.health.state.ny.us/enviro...tdoors/septic/

Old 01-06-08, 06:06 AM
M
Every installer has their own home grown methods for introducing a sufficient amount of bacteria into a new septic so that it starts working right off the bat. Reputable installers may use a commercial product like 'Flush It' or 'Mega Bio.'

Personally, I use crushed up dry dog food.... your mileage may vary. But like has been noted, there is damage that could be done by introducing the wrong stuff into a septic.

Old 01-06-08, 06:40 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 384 Votes on 340 Posts
My grandfather always poured a packet of yeast into his septic system every month and never had any problems I do the same [well I forget 1/2 the time ] and my septic system has worked flawlessly for 19 yrs.

Old 01-06-08, 08:19 AM
M
Scientifically speaking, human waste has enough bacteria in it to keep a septic working even after a system has been killed with high levels of bleach.

I don't see anything wrong with starting a septic with something, or even adding something once in a while as long as it is proven to not be capable of accelerating the sludge decay so that it passes to the leech field prematurely.

I absolutely disagree with using granulated sugar in the septic system... I would think that the sugar would need to have some prior breakdown to prevent it from congealing in the system. But I have nothing to back that up with except a gut feeling.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: