Bad Bearing in Motor

Old 01-23-08, 10:24 AM
newfievolt83
Visiting Guest
Bad Bearing in Motor

Hello everyone,
about a year ago I purchase a padestal type sump pump, just recently I've notice when the pump is running that it has been making a rough kind of sound. The warranty has expired so I'm out of luck with that. I removed the pump and removed the motor off the column and plugged it in and still makes the sound, so after taking the motor a part without touching any of the electrical components and observing the mechanic part I discovered that the bottom bearing is bad. So is there any way or how I can replace this bearing? If anyone is wondering I do have some experience dealing with electrical thus why I didn't hesitate in dismantling the motor. Here are some details of the motor:
Maker: Little Giant
1/3 HP
AMPS: 4
Volts: 115/120 VAC
Type: Shaded Pole, Squirrel Cage
Service Factor: 1.0
Motor Model: TM03C01
RPM: 1725
Thermally Protected Auto
Type: 17AM 033A5

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Newfievolt83

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-08, 08:46 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
May be cheaper to buy new pump?
I dont know, just my 2 cents.
What does a new pump cost?

Old 01-25-08, 09:23 AM
V
Vey
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
"May be cheaper to buy new pump?"

Or a new motor. Have you contacted Little Giant? They have a website. I think motor bearings are usually pressed on so they are hard to change.

I've never rebuilt a motor. I've just taken them to the local motor shop. Large towns usually have at least one shop. They get calls all day long from homeowners asking about their small motors, and the answer is the same . . . unless the motor costs $200-300, it's not worth rebuilding. It's probably more now. It's been a long time since I've been to the motor shop. That usually means 3-5HP and up.

But if you are doing it yourself, it might be worthwhile. I don't know. I would contact Little Giant and see what they say.

Old 01-25-08, 10:25 AM
newfievolt83
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the replies, I was kind of thinking that myself, usually a new column type pump costs around 60-120 bucks around here. But I do have a couple of other motors lying around and one I believe is very similar to one with the bad bearing, so maybe if the rotor assembly is the same in the other I can swap them, but it has to be the exact same assembly though, here's to hoping.