Wellsaver tank slowly loses pressure

Old 01-23-08, 09:55 AM
X
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wellsaver tank slowly loses pressure

I have a Wellsaver LPT20 tank. Pressure switch is set correctly and works fine. My question is: after the pump cuts out, I can watch the pressure slowly bleed off the gauge when there is no water being used. Takes about 1 minute. Shouldn't the pressure hold for at least a little longer than that is there is no water being used? What should I check next, tank is only 1 year old.
Thanks for the help.
JB

Old 01-23-08, 10:34 AM
sounds like a defective check valve, but before condemning it, Ensure that there is actually no water being used. a running toilet in the basement , where it cant be seen or heard, will create the same symptoms as a bad Check...

Old 01-23-08, 11:31 AM
X
still leaks

I shut off the water right after the pump so no water was running anywhere. Still leaks, really slow but still the pressure bleeds off. Is it worth taking the tank apart to change the check valve or just get another tank? I hope the next one lasts longer than this one did.
Thanks again.
JB

Old 01-23-08, 01:10 PM
F
The check valve is usually at the pump or between the pump and the storage tank, not in the tank. The leakage you're seeing is probably the water in the tank leaking back into the well from the tank.

Old 01-23-08, 03:31 PM
X
that changes everything

So it means changing a check valve down in the pump area? That bites the big kahuna doesn't it? I'll check into what it takes to get that fixed then. The system is 20 years old, I guess I've done pretty good to get this far.
Thanks again for the help, this site has been a big help to me every time I've asked.
JB

Old 01-23-08, 04:09 PM
M
You can put a check valve at the surface. The consequences might include...

a cracked male adapter at the pump instead of a bad check valve at the pump. If it breaks and you do not have a safety line on your pump then you have a much higher cost for a well driller to fish the pump out of the well.

air being pumped into your tank every time the pump starts effectively air logging your tank and introducing air into your house.

Only you and a well tech can decide if a surface check valve is worth the risks. If it really is a bad check valve on the pump, the surface check valve will likely cure the problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: