Loud Sump Pump Noise

Old 01-26-08, 04:58 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Loud Sump Pump Noise

Since I'm a complete novice on anything plumbing, I need some assistance. Periodically throughout the day, our sump pump will "cycle" for about 5 seconds before a LOUD pop noise comes out from the sump pump. This has occured for the last 5 months, with or without water in the pump area. The pump itself is only about a year and a half old. I'm not too sure what I could do to prevent this LOUD popping noise as our home is quite open, so the sound travels quite well. Thanks.

Old 01-26-08, 06:15 AM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If the "pop" is at the end of every cycle, it's likely the sound of the check valve closing. If so, you might try a McDonald # 2069 check valve, scroll down on this page:

http://www.aymcdonald.com/ProdList_P...13&getgroup=73

Old 01-26-08, 03:56 PM
S
Are these McDonald valves easy to install? I'm pretty ignorant. What does this type of valve normally do? Thanks.

Old 01-26-08, 06:53 PM
M
Originally Posted by Smudger View Post
Are these McDonald valves easy to install? I'm pretty ignorant. What does this type of valve normally do? Thanks.

The check valves (there are two in this picture as there are two pumps, a primary and a backup) prevent water from flowing back down the pipes above and into the sump (the basin the pumps sit in) when the pump stops and is no longer pushing water up the pipe.

Usually they are simple to replace, now that you know what you are looking for you can inspect yours and decide if you feel comfortable replacing it yourself.

Old 01-26-08, 08:55 PM
Michael, have you used/heard these valves personally? I run into lots of folks complaining about the regular checks banging. Thanks!

Also, trimming pipe may be required if the dimensions are different! Good luck!

Old 01-27-08, 06:39 AM
M
I've noticed one at a home inspection- that's how I found out about them. It was the least noisy check valve I've encountered, just sort of a "click", like a latching door.

Also, my general experience has been that in vertical installations the spring loaded type valves don't "bang" nearly as badly as the the "flapper" types.

Old 01-27-08, 03:18 PM
Sounds like a winner. I will look into them.

Old 09-11-08, 07:03 PM
R
Thanks to this forum I went out and got the 1 1/2" AY McDonald 2069 silent check valve and the 2" sewage silent check valve 2065s and maaan! what a difference! Silence is golden!

Old 09-12-08, 08:27 AM
S
Did you use them in a vertical position or horizontal? Mine are horizontal and I am wondering if they would work well in that position.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: