Pulling well pump

Old 03-03-08, 09:01 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pulling well pump

First, apologies for the long post, want to answer as many questions as possible before the back and forth starts.

I need to pull my well pump.
I discovered we had no water, turned off pump at breaker, checked all wiring and in-house water structure/plumbing. When turning the breaker back on, the switch hums, the inlet pipe vibrates for a few seconds, then stops. It will do this 2 or 3 times, before the switch hums but the inlet pipe does not vibrate anymore. I am assuming I am either out of water in my well, or there is a problem with the pump(motor, bad seal, something).

I am looking for overall tips on pulling the pump. The switch shows a 3/4hp motor, my research suggests this means well depth around 300 feet. Obviously, I cannot just pull this myself, I will need a pump puller or some other contraption to help pull that much pipe(and water and the pump, can see that it is black flexible piping below the pitless adapter). I am in a rural area where I have been quoted $300 and up just to pull the pump. Is there something I can build to help me with pulling the pump?

Any ideas, anyone done this themselves?

Any advice is very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-08, 09:48 AM
OK,
First off, what type of pump is this. Im guessing a submersible, but 300 dollars sounds mighty cheap to pull a submersible pump.

Next...Just humor me....You mentioned 3/4hp switch..is this a switch or starter box?..How many wires to the pump?? In "Slim Shot" cases incorrect voltage at the well head can cause your symptoms also. Did you check for proper voltage at the well head?

Look around on the net, there are some websites with actual pictures, and procedures for doing this.....Although it may be back breaking and time consuming it is "Do-able".

It involves a piece of 1 inch pipe, possibly as long as 10 feet threaded on both ends...One end is threaded into the "PITLESS ADAPTER" in your casing..the other gets a "Tee" fitting, and two more pieces of pipe to make a big 10 foot "T". this is the tool you will use to disengage the pump and drop pipe from its mounting...Just lift it up...

Recruit 3 or 4 of the neighbors kids.. and take turns ..hand over hand , lifting the drop pipe out of the ground, until the pump appears. It is quite probable that your pump may be 200 to 300 feet down in the ground , or possibly more, so be patient.

Old 03-03-08, 12:09 PM
Didn't have to do it afterall

Unclediezel, thanks for the reply. It is "switch box" or "control box", and as it turns out, that was the problem. New box, and I now have water again. Your advice on how to pull the pump is pretty much what I was expecting. I did also find someplace I can rent a "pump puller" from for about $60 a day, so that is good to know as well.

By the age of my pump(which is a submersible BTW), well over 16 years, I expect to need to replace it some time in the relatively near future though, so I may be back with this exact issue then.

Thanks again

Old 03-03-08, 01:08 PM
It is "switch box" or "control box",
Ok...

Glad to hear youre "Up and Running"..

A bit of theory.... Your pump has an extra "Circuit" in it , to absorb the current "SHOCK" or drag that is present when the pump "SPINS UP TO SPEED" from a stop. Once the pump is running , the "Run" circuit takes over, and much less of a current draw is used. Your control box is responsible for this electrical "Transition".

Unless the box just failed due to age, which is a likely possibility, Excess current draw from a tight or worn pump bearing can damage the contacts in the box.

After 16 years of faithful service, You may be changing that pump sooner than later.

Old 03-03-08, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by Unclediezel View Post
Unless the box just failed due to age, which is a likely possibility, Excess current draw from a tight or worn pump bearing can damage the contacts in the box.

After 16 years of faithful service, You may be changing that pump sooner than later.
My thoughts exactly. There was some corrosion on of the contacts, perhaps the interference caused by the corrosion also contributed to the box's demise. One way or the other, I am adding this project to my "not so long term" to do list.

Thanks again Unclediezel

Old 03-03-08, 01:25 PM
Wink

Id say anytime you can get the pump pulled for that $300 Id sure go for it. Rather than try and pull it myself. Its a lot of work to try and pull a pump by hand . No matter how you do it

Old 03-03-08, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc View Post
Id say anytime you can get the pump pulled for that $300 Id sure go for it. Rather than try and pull it myself. Its a lot of work to try and pull a pump by hand . No matter how you do it
It may still come to that, but I hope to do it myself. I'm pretty cheap, and fortunately for my wife and kids, I'm pretty handy as well.

When it's time, I plan on giving it a shot myself. I'll be back here I'm sure for that.

LOL

Old 03-03-08, 02:18 PM
Id say anytime you can get the pump pulled for that $300 Id sure go for it.

At 300 bucks, Id let him pull it twice..

My well guy gave me a generous estimate of 10 dollars a foot. ...At 230 feet...I chose to buy pizza for the neighborhood kids and had it out and replaced in 4 hours.

I could have bought the pizza and paid each of them 50 bucks and still come out ahead....

Old 03-03-08, 02:44 PM
Unfortunately for me, time and time again, it has been proven to me that in order for things to be right, I have to do them myself. Be it "bad luck", or just my fate, every time I pay someone to do a job I "could" have done, something goes wrong and I end up on the short end of the stick.

So my motto has become very simple, "if I can do it myself, I will"

Old 03-03-08, 02:49 PM
So my motto has become very simple, "if I can do it myself, I will"

Well....Actually.... I guess this is why this website is called Doityourself.com...Instead of paysomeoneelse.com

Old 03-03-08, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by Unclediezel View Post
Well....Actually.... I guess this is why this website is called Doityourself.com...Instead of paysomeoneelse.com
Oh boy! That almost makes sense!