watch dog back up sump pump

Old 03-04-08, 06:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
watch dog back up sump pump

I am going to hook up a watchdog battery back up sump pump. Is it ok to plug into the duplex receptacle with the primary sump plugged into as well or do I need a separate circuit? Any feed back would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-08, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by luagui View Post
I am going to hook up a watchdog battery back up sump pump. Is it ok to plug into the duplex receptacle with the primary sump plugged into as well or do I need a separate circuit? Any feed back would be appreciated
It's usually better to have a dedicated 20a circuit for your primary pump. I have a separate circuit for the backup unit. You want to minimize the risk of tripping the breaker and having a second unit increases your chances of that happening. My $0.02 opinion.

Old 03-05-08, 06:30 PM
Does it draw that much where it may trip the breaker? I have never seen a dedicated outlet for a battery backup system in a residential home. I do know one thing though...dont plug any pump or back up pump into a power strip! I have seen way to many of these turned off, tripped, etc.

Old 03-06-08, 05:25 AM
IMHO - it depends on how many degrees of safety you want. To me, what's most important is whether the outlet is a 15a or 20a, GFCI or non-GFCI, dedicated or shared outlet. If you have a dedicated, non-GFCI 20a, then yes I would agree the risk is low that a combined primary and backup unit would not likely trip it. Primary pumps may draw 8 to 10 AC amps and a backup unit will draw 2 to 4 amps based on the DC output battery recharge rates (anywhere from 10 to 25 amps DC). So if you're talking 10 to 14 amps load on a 20a non-GFCI dedicated circuit = good margin of capacity. However, I've seen where the sump outlets are wired only to a 15a breaker where that same circuit powers several outlets. That would be risky in my mind, especially if they are GFCI protected and have additional loads on them. Completely agree that power strips are a no-no for this application.