230V water pump prob

Old 03-13-08, 12:34 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
230V water pump prob

ok this january, the water pump started giving us sand, we wound up raising the pump about 6 feet and installed filters and that took care of the problem. Then after checking filters yesterday, before water lawn and flowers, everything was good. we now wake up today to no water pressure and then no water at all.

Went to check to make sure i had power on both sides of switch, and i have proper voltages there. I have a control box up top, the kind you can't easily check with out using leads to make all 5 connections. but the pump does not run. Does anyone know what the Ohms rewading should be on the pump. It has 4 wires, 3 and a ground. so i can test the pump to see if it has gone out on me or not or what my issue might be.

thanks in advance for your help on this matter.

Old 03-13-08, 02:53 PM
Before that, open the cover on the control box..make sure there is 240 voltage across the line terminals going "INTO" the control.

One wire of the 4 is the start wire..I believe it will be the yellow one....

Red , Black , Yellow and Green??????? is what you have "To the pump?

If so, check resistance between black and red, and yellow and red.....a given value wont really help you, you are more interested in "Shorted" or "Open"

Old 03-13-08, 03:18 PM
B
if you raised your pump..what did you do with the wires in the well?...i learned the hard way..i installed my own pump at 100 feet..plastic hose...was told by the pump seller to leave a "little extra" wire for the plastic pipe to stretch...i did and all was good for about 1 year...one of the wires (i left too much slack) rubbed the casing and wore through

Old 03-14-08, 07:21 AM
W
Originally Posted by Unclediezel View Post
Before that, open the cover on the control box..make sure there is 240 voltage across the line terminals going "INTO" the control.

One wire of the 4 is the start wire..I believe it will be the yellow one....

Red , Black , Yellow and Green??????? is what you have "To the pump?

If so, check resistance between black and red, and yellow and red.....a given value wont really help you, you are more interested in "Shorted" or "Open"
yellow is common. red and yellow is the start winding. black and yellow is the run winding. green, obviously, is ground. set your ohmmeter to it's highest setting and check for continuity from each wire to ground. there should not be continuity. then, you can set your ohmmeter to 1 and check continuity from red to yellow, then black to yellow. withiout knowing the size of the motor, you can't determine what the resistances should be. there are also capacitors and a relay in the control box you could check.

Old 03-14-08, 08:01 AM
yellow is common. red and yellow is the start winding. black and yellow is the run winding.
oops......Your absolutely right..sorry for the confusion.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: