Shallow well pump & tank

Old 03-19-08, 05:22 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shallow well pump & tank

I have a shallow well jut pump and tank in my basement, the tank has developed a "weeping" leak. On the side of the tank it says it was installed in Feb. 1993. I'm wondering if I should replace the pump at the same time, seems to be working well but has some surface rust.

Also on the pipe coming up vertical to the pump the middle piece has flowmatic printed on it along with an arrow pointing up, is that a check valve?

Thanks
Rob

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-08, 07:46 PM
Im hoping the date on the camera is wrong..... If not and it has been leaking like that for 8 years....You are one lucky guy. That is a rupture waiting to happen.

Yes that is a check valve.

If it aint broke , dont fix it??????.....If it has to come apart anyway, now would be a good time to consider pump replacement.

Old 03-20-08, 04:03 PM
R
Hmm, guess I'd better change the date and time on my camera.

It wouldn't be a problem if I just ran the plastic pipe (black type about 1 1/4" O.D., so I'm guessing 1") right to the pump (still putting 2 90's in it) and do away with the galvanized?

Any recommendations on pumps and tanks, this Gould pump looks like it's lasted awhile (I've owned the house 1.5 years). Any difference in the type I have, the tank and pump package Link and purchasing them as separate components? Link Link

Old 03-20-08, 05:58 PM
V
Vey
Old 03-20-08, 06:10 PM
thanks VEY.

When I first moved into my house, I found that article, and followed it. My equipment went in perfectly, But I couldnt find the article again afterwards. Thank you.

Rjels...Read thru it, its well worth the time.

Old 03-20-08, 06:29 PM
R
Thanks, some great info in there.

Old 03-21-08, 07:28 AM
P
I would rcommend that you use separate components rather than the tanl/pump combo. If one or the other goes out, it's much easier to replace it.
If room is a problem, you can buy a bracket that mounts to the top of the tank and still mount your pump on top.
The article that Vey linked to is a good one. I do have one problem with it, though. The author states that he removed the piping from the old tank to possibly use it for compressed air. PLEASE DON"T USE a water system pressure tank for compressed air. They are not rated for pressures that compressors are usually rated for.
Ron