Strange Sump Hole

Old 03-20-08, 09:28 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Strange Sump Hole

I want to install a sump pump in what looks like an unused original construction sump hole pump...but now that I look at the hole, it is not what I am used to seeing.

It is 12"x12"x12" deep (most of which is the thickness of my concerete floor). The bottom is gravel, but there is a black rubber-like plug (I think...sort of a gasket) in the middle. It is about 8" in diameter with a raised plastic square in the middle. There seems to just be (damp) gravel around it.

I am guessing that the gasket covers an access to the weeping tile under the house. But the hole under the gasket would not be big enough for me to fit a pump into.

Should I just put the pedestal pump in the current hole on top of this gasket-like thing, or should I pull it off first? (I'm kind of afraid to do that in case I'm wrong about what it is....)

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-08, 03:40 PM
Can you post a pic? You can't here water rushing thru when the toilet is flushed, can you?

Old 03-21-08, 09:01 PM
Pic

I am having trouble inserting the picture in this reply, but it is at http://www.biotechip.com

The black cover (or whatever it is) does not feel rigid. In fact, the square part in the middle flexes and feels like thin hollow plastic.

It is quiet as a tomb in there...no water sounds at all.

Thanks!