Septic Tank Questions

Old 04-11-08, 08:59 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Septic Tank Questions

Our tank was pumped last week and, while it's working properly, I have three questions prompted by the serviceman that did the pumping. First, the inflow section was pretty solid and he said it was because of too much toilet paper. My wife refuses to give up toilet paper so that's not an option but is there something to this statement and is there a specific type of TP that breaks down better in a septic tank? Also, he said that our mainline in the house was partially clogged with sediment and suggested what their company calls a "Mainline Flush" where another technician opens up the tank and puts a high pressure hose in the line leading back to the house and thereby flushes out the sediment. For this they charge $370. This sounded a little strange to me so I talked with my son who is a journeyman plumber and a commercial foreman. His reaction was that it was a scam and wasn't necessary. I think I agree but I wonder if it's a widespread idea in the pumping business and what others think of this. Lastly, their info packet which they provide to customers with suggestions about maintaining the system included a flyer on adding a washing machine filter. Is there anything to that idea?

Thanks for any response.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-08, 09:08 PM
First off, Think for a minute......

Why would you want the sediment pushed "BACK TOWARD THE HOUSE"??????

A washing machine filter.........ABSOLUTELY..........

Just for giggles , take a pair of the wifes stockings, and put it over the outlet from the washer...To make a screen of sorts....After two loads, look at the inside of the stocking.....Do you want that stuff in your drainfield?..Likely not. Synthetic fibers from "LINT" float. they get passed from tank to tank, and once your pump gets ahold of it....its sent out to the field, where it collects and clumps. Since it isnt "Biodegradeable", it can clog the field, Because there is no way to "Unclump" it.

Old 04-12-08, 07:55 AM
V
Vey
Single ply toilet paper is the best for septic tanks. Scott's, I think is the only company that makes it anymore. I got my wife to switch and even though the house we are in now has city sewer, we still use it. Tried the new Scot's pleated type, but wasn't strong enough.

Old 04-12-08, 08:57 PM
B
Scotts is the best brand to use. It breaks down quickly and prevents pipe clogs. The flusking out the line to the tank thing is usually a revenue generating scheme. The filter trap on the washing machine is a great idea for reasons already posted.

Old 04-13-08, 06:03 AM
L
Originally Posted by silvanaguy View Post
... is there a specific type of TP that breaks down better in a septic tank?
I have heard single-ply breaks down more quickly because both sides of the sheet are exposed, but my wife and I use a double-ply that is relatively plain (not all fluffy or quilted). The big issue here, however, is to only use as much as is really necessary rather than a fistfull for each little wipe.

... a high pressure hose in the line leading back to the house and thereby flushes out the sediment.
If your line going out to the tank needs to be cleared, there should be a cleanout fitting inside the house for doing that.

... adding a washing machine filter. Is there anything to that idea?
Yes, absolutely. The lint from a washing machine needs to be kept out of the septic tank and drain field. There are various ways to accomplish that, and here is one filter you might consider:
http://www.repairclinic.com/SmartSea...1811&PPStack=1