Sprinkler Pump Wont Run

Old 04-15-08, 07:48 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sprinkler Pump Wont Run

My g'friend told me that when she turned her timer to manually run her sprinkler system and hit start, that she heard a semi loud noise come from her pump relax box. Well now her pump doesn't even try to run. I have checked the main breaker and also went ahead and replaced the starter solenoid on the pump. What else could I check? Thanks
Mike

Old 04-16-08, 06:08 AM
P
You might check the relay itself.
The only noise it should make is the sound of the contacts snapping together when the mag engages.
Be sure to turn the power off before opening the relay box.
Ron

Old 04-16-08, 08:25 PM
W
Originally Posted by Pumpman
The only noise it should make is the sound of the contacts snapping together when the mag engages.

Ron
the noise made is fom the magnetic field opening the contact. the start relay is always a normally closed relay.

Old 04-17-08, 06:26 AM
P
What I called a relay is really just a contactor with a 24 volt coil that closes the contacts on a 24 volt signal from the timer. When the timer shuts off, the contactor will open, shutting off the pump (which is wired 115V or 230V).
I've heard these make unusual noises when they close. Alot of the time they will make a loud buzzing noise, especially is one of the contacts is extremely dirty. I had one where a mouse was in the box when the contactor energized and tried to close. Mouse caused a short that made a loud popping sound.
Ron

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: