Desparate! 2 line shallow well pump problem

Old 04-20-08, 10:11 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Desparate! 2 line shallow well pump problem

After a couple of weeks of my 3 yr. old 3/4 HP Gould's 2 line shallow well pump coming on every 10-15 min. I replaced my foot valve and venturi (2nd time in 4 yrs.) in my 75' deep well (I hit water at 20'-25'). The pump/tank is no longer losing pressure, so that seemed to do the trick. BUT, now my pump doesn't want to build up more than 30-35 psi. Before replacing the foot valve it was easily getting 50 psi, in less than a min. Now, of course, it doesn't shut off because it won't reach the pressure needed for the pressure switch (presently set at 50 psi on the high end). I could deal with 40 psi and reset the switch, but something is clearly wrong when it takes several min. to reach 30 psi. I have primed the pump several times, the prime seems good because if I remove the top nut on the pump, the water is full to the top, can't add any more. I checked the little plastic line and bottom of the pressure switch and it is clear. Ran the pump for 15 min., no airs spitting out.
Any ideas as to my pressure problem, I don't think its the pump, and as I said, the pressure holds steady when I turn it off. Also, the tank pressure seems OK. I'm desparate for help. Thanks.

Old 04-20-08, 12:27 PM
Thumbs up 2 line pump problem

Ok, to start out I need you to know this is my first reply on the net so if I do something wrong let me know please.

I am a master plumber in NH for over 20 years now.

Lets begin.
First off jet pumps SUCK! (and sometimes they don't)

Now, in my experience the well you have is considered a deep well because it is a two pipe system. A one pipe system (shallow well) would be for a dug well.
Also you have one of the best pumps on the market.

Do you also have a check valve at the pump? If you do then you could still have an air leak somewhere on the other side of the check valve causing the pump to suck up some air, and it would look like the pump is not losing water when priming. If not then read on.
You said you replaced both the foot valve and the venturi both twice? These items should only need replacement very frequently. Is the foot valve installed in the correct direction. I have seen some of the plastic ones with the screen on the wrong end.
when you said the venturi did you mean the whole jet assembly or just the venturi inside?
before pulling the well I would think about pressure testing the piping from the pump to the well.
If that is ok, my next thought would be the jet assembly. Is it set at the correct height? It should be about 10-15 above the foot valve. If thats ok, I would check for some kind of dirt in the venturi. It doesn't take much to change the hole size so the jet assembly doesn't do its job correctly.
Most pumps need that assistance or the pump will not have enough lift capacity and the pressure will never be reached.

These are the things I would be looking at. Also check out Goulds on the web. I am sure they have a troubleshooting page to help you also.

Good luck........................

Old 04-20-08, 12:29 PM
P
It sounds like you either have a leak on the suction pipe or the nozzle in the ejector is plugged up. Either one of these problems will keep the pump from building pressure.
Ron

Old 04-20-08, 12:55 PM
What I call the venturi is the whole "J" shaped brass piece with this 6-7" plastic tube insert. It is connected directly to foot valve, only a couple inches below it. Does the 10"-15" make a real difference? The previous set was installed "professionally" and cost me more than $800 (with new pvc pipe) and I dug the hole! When I saw that all they did was hook up a new piece with a couple of hose clamps, I felt ripped off, since the venturi and foot valve cost less than $100. Anyway, I hooked it up exactly the way the previous one was and didn't touch anything in the basement where the pump is since there didn't seem to be any problems there.
I have no check valve in the basement, it never had one so I didn't figure I needed one. As far as pressure testing the pipe from pump to the well, I have a pressure guage on top of the pump (where I prime the pump from) and I turned the pump off all night and there was no pressure drop, so I figure the system and foot valve is OK. Is there something else to check? What gets me, is that just that morning I replaced the foot valve and venturi, I was easily getting 50 psi, it just steadily lost pressure when the pump shut off.
Thanks for the help. Any other suggestions, I hate to take the pump apart, this is new ground to me, not super handy, and it was working fine the other day.

Old 04-20-08, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by Pumpman View Post
It sounds like you either have a leak on the suction pipe or the nozzle in the ejector is plugged up. Either one of these problems will keep the pump from building pressure.
Ron
A plugged injector, is this difficult to fix?

Old 04-20-08, 04:05 PM
J
Received 320 Votes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by 650paulie View Post
A plugged injector, is this difficult to fix?
It means pulling the pipes again and flushing the dirt out of the injector. It only takes a small piece of debris or stone to cause this problem.

Old 04-20-08, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by joed View Post
It means pulling the pipes again and flushing the dirt out of the injector. It only takes a small piece of debris or stone to cause this problem.
I'm confused, you say to pull the pipes again, is the injector in the jet pump or down below in the venturi/jet package?

Old 04-21-08, 05:45 AM
J
Received 320 Votes on 276 Posts
The injector is at the end of the two pipes in a deep well setup.

Old 04-21-08, 02:49 PM
Thanks all for the help. I got it fixed. I looked online at the Gould's pump and read the installation troubleshooting section and one thing popped up. So simple, it said that the pump must be higher than the well head (the cast iron, half moon pieces with the heavy rubber gasket between them which are spread to seal with 4 heavy bolts). Before I installed the foot valve, the line from the well head to the pump was perfectly horizontal. After I installed the foot valve I had raised the plastic elbow and line approx. 3 inches so it would be easier to get at the bolts which were a real pain to loosen earlier. Well that lousy 3" apparently raised the elbow and hose slightly higher than the pump causing air to be trapped in the high point at the elbow. This caused the prime to be compromised as I was sucking air with the water. I lowered the line, re-primed it and turned on the pump and in 15 secs. It went up to 50 psi and shut off as it should. What a relief, as always it is always something simple the screws you up.

Old 04-26-08, 01:58 PM
Thumbs up thanks

I never would have thought of that. I've never seen or had that problem, OR maybe I did and didn't know it.

See that even a seasoned plumber with over 20 yrs experience can still learn something.

Thanks for posting your outcome, Mark

Old 04-26-08, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by plumbingods View Post
See that even a seasoned plumber with over 20 yrs experience can still learn something.

Thanks for posting your outcome, Mark
Just wanted to contribute a little. thanks everyone

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: