potential water problem query

Old 04-23-08, 07:28 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
potential water problem query

I am looking at a home to purchase. It is 19 years old and seemed to be in great shape. I am concerned however with the basement and I am hoping to get some insight here.

There are 3 sump pumps in this basement. Two weeks ago, one of the pumps failed to operate and the basement flooded. The current owner fixed the problem with the pump and all seemed fine.

Two days ago, on a return visit to the property, I notice water on the floor again. The owner assured me all three pumps were in working order, yet he made some passing comment that occasionally, there will be some water seepage into the basement during heavy water events outside. He tried to make light of it, but then again, he is trying to sell this house.

Although I am not concerned about the presence of three sump pumps. I am, however concerned about the following:

1. With three pumps working, water still seeps into the basement.

2. When one pumps fail, the other two can not keep up.

Could it be these pumps are simply undersized, or could there be a more serious issue that should make me run away from this house?

Thanks for any advice.

Old 04-23-08, 08:00 AM
V
Vey
You are still looking at this house? With the Real Estate market the way it is, you want to buy a house with (count 'em) THREE sump pumps that seem to not be working reliably?

Old 04-23-08, 08:06 AM
F
I did not think much of the first incident, equipment fails. But after seeing the standing water two days ago, I began putting things together and I just wanted to see if I was not just being paranoid.

Old 04-23-08, 10:21 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
It would have to be a pretty darn special house at a real steal for me to consider one with even one sump pump, let alone three.

Old 04-23-08, 10:43 AM
V
Vey
I'll let someone else comment as to whether you are paranoid. I come from an age when people didn't try to cover every square inch of land with housing, so what I think would probably not be relevant these days.

Old 04-24-08, 04:55 AM
B
sump pumps

From my experience, I would never purchase a home with 3 sump pumps to maintain. Are all 3 pumps for groundwater? Could one pump possibly be a sewage type pump? I would be getting alot more answers from the homeowner before I would buy the home. There is nothing more stressful, aggravating than basement water problems.

Old 04-24-08, 07:02 PM
V
Vey
Originally Posted by bubb1957 View Post
From my experience, I would never purchase a home with 3 sump pumps to maintain. Are all 3 pumps for groundwater? Could one pump possibly be a sewage type pump? I would be getting alot more answers from the homeowner before I would buy the home. There is nothing more stressful, aggravating than basement water problems.
When I sad something like this last year a moderator got mad at me and deleted my posts. I would rather own a house on a slab than own a house with a damp basement because a [added- well built slab, I have seen some new houses with cracked or sweating] slab won't rot my house from the inside out.

I have since heard of places, like Maryland and Pennsylvania, where damp basements, sump pumps and dehumidifiers are "normal" and that it would be hard to find a house that didn't have these "normal" things.

That's why I can't comment. If these things are now "normal" in some parts of the country, then how can I argue with that?

Me, I look for two bad news things, both of them have pumps: 1. a sump pump; 2. a hump in the backyard and a septic pump. When I see those, I don't walk, I run the other way.

But I am older. Younger people don't seem to mind these things. They have a lot more faith in technology and infrastructure than I do.

If you are comfortable with three sump pumps, so am I.

Old 04-24-08, 07:45 PM
R
Dont worry about it Vey, I was almost kicked off forum for saying something about Honda and Kawasaki small gas motors, versus Briggs and Stratton. You know, the old "Ford Vs Chevy" argument. They said I wasnt allowed to ***** or complain or whatever.
I imagine it was some over zealous moderator, so dont take it personally.

Old 04-24-08, 08:28 PM
V
Vey
Originally Posted by roadhawg3 View Post
I imagine it was some over zealous moderator, so dont take it personally.
I think he is still around, so I better watch what I say.

When I was a kid, if someone had a damp basement that needed a sump pump, people treated them like they had some sort of social disease. Now, if it wasn't their fault, like the city or town relocated a road or street or ditch and flooded their basement, that was understandable and then it was acceptable to buy a sump pump. Still, there was a stigma, "How would they sell it?" people whispered.

But if you knowingly bought into a damp basement, then you were mentally defective or something. Why would you buy a house that depended on a sump pump when most houses didn't? Sumps were acceptable, pumps, no.

But that was back in the day, and I guess now those "high and dry" houses go for a premium that most people can't afford.

Just wanted to add the "old-timer's" point of view here.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: