Bio-Mat Leach Field

Old 04-25-08, 02:41 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bio-Mat Leach Field

I bought my house about a 1.5 years ago and had it inspected, they performed a dye test on the septic. Anyways, this spring I noticed an odd smell to the drainage for the backyard. The backyard slopes down to a shallow ditch and there is a 4" drain tile under an inch of soil. I always thought it was to keep the ditch dry, it opens to daylight at the other end of the yard.

Come to find out that is my "leach field", so when the ground water is high enough it basically pushes all the septic out the other end. Well come to find out the groundwater is to high to do a normal leach field. My engineer (need one in my county) recommended a raised bed or bio-mat. I would prefer not to go with a raised bed because then I would need a pump.

He told me bio-mats have been around for a while and work well, he said something about living micro-organisms being in the mats and breaking down all the waste and clean water comes out.

Anyone have any thoughts on bio-mats or websites that discuss them? When I goggled bio-mat I just get the buildup of waste under leach fields. Maybe I'm not using the right term?

Thanks
Rob

Old 04-25-08, 07:25 PM
I have seen something about useing a long open top concrete ditch to treat waste water by letting plants grow in it and adsorbing the nutrients and filtering the water that way but I didn't know of any municipalitys that were allowing that. The problem with that would be the same as with a logoon in that it can overflow and spill contaminates into the environment. Have you checked out a arobic system also called the clear water system?
Murphy was an optimist.

Old 04-26-08, 05:34 PM
R
Ahh, I found it. Bio-Matt is what I was looking for.

http://www.port80media.com/eljen/HowItWorks.asp

I am trying to stay away from anything that requires alot of attention. I have heard aerobic systems need a yearly inspection and testing by a trained professional, and are hard to keep working properly.
Thanks for the info Speed

Old 04-26-08, 08:06 PM
looks like it would work but would require a large excavation to install. will the county permit it? good luck.
life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: