Chlorine shock / flushing a well problem


  #1  
Old 05-07-08, 06:00 PM
S
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Chlorine shock / flushing a well problem

Last week, I pulled my submersible pump (4" well, 360' deep), and as suggested here, shocked the well with a gallon of bleach. I ran water until i smelled chlorine; i let it sit overnight, and i flushed it until it ran odorless. I flushed the cold water first, then drained the hot water heater and the hot water lines. The water ran clean and odor free throughout the system, and even directly from the well tank.

Today, the chlorine odor came back around 6 pm. I repeated the flushing process, and now the water is odorless again.

Is it normal for chlorine smell to re-appear after shocking 24 hrs later? Or, do you think I used too much chlorine or made some other mistake?
 
  #2  
Old 05-08-08, 04:40 AM
VC-Racing's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: South Fork of The Edisto River, SC
Posts: 219
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I've had a well for over 20yrs @ my river house and (2) 6"wells @ my farm thats been there for 35 yrs and I have never heard of "Shocking" well water . Thats definitly a new one.
 
  #3  
Old 05-08-08, 05:01 AM
GregH's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 10,229
Received 60 Votes on 56 Posts
Many people shock chlorinate their well but there are more effective ways than just pouring bleach down the casing.
The problem with this method is that you do not get even mixing.

The proper way to shock a well is to premix the bleach in a pre-determined concentration with a volume of water that will displace the water in the casing.
In addition to affecting the casing the chlorine will also leech into the aquifer giving you a more thorough disinfection.

Here is some info on this.
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: