Sizing a booster pump and tank

Old 05-25-08, 09:36 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I don't how to post my problem.I am trying learn how to select a Tank for a pressurised Booster pump system for a house hold.The Pump system I am talking about comes with a stainless steel Air Tank and a pressure switch,This air tank has air in one side and water gets filled to the other side.once the pressure of the air in the tank reach set pressure pump cut off.When water is used in the house by opening a Tap pressure in the air Tank drops to set pressure in the pressure switch and the pump starts working .My question is how to select the correct Tank for a system.They have different capacity tanks, 12 Liters, 20 Liters , 25 Liters like that.Any body can offer any help please?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-08, 05:03 AM
I moved this to get exposure to experts in the well pump field since it is more closely related to that than heating pumps. If anyone thinks it should be in the plumbing, perhaps another mod can move it. Good luck.

Ken

Old 05-26-08, 06:16 AM
hope this helps

Try this sizing chart. If you need more help, just ask

http://www.amtrol.com/pdf/MC4380%2006_07WXTBrochure.pdf

Old 06-18-08, 04:18 PM
There is a product that is what you are looking for. Are you on a well or city water? Is this going on a well?

Old 06-19-08, 07:34 AM
V
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The little stainless steel tank on top of the pump is meant to be all the tank you need. However, if this system does not have a "constant pressure valve" included, that tank is not large enough. Without a CPV, you need as large a tank as you can afford, or have a place to install.

Old 06-19-08, 07:40 AM
P
It depends on what you're using the booster on.
If you're on city water that's low pressure, and you want to boost the pressure immediately, the pressure switch differential has been adjusted to allow minimal pressure drop before the pump starts. This would require a small tank and installing a larger tank would be useless.
If you're boosting water from a well storage tank, out of a cistern or shallow well, you'll want to use a larger tank with the pressure switch differential set at 20 psi. This will allow the pump to run long enough to cool off once the demand for water decreases. In this instance, the rule of thumb for tank sizing is this: One gallon of drawdown for each gallon of pump capacity. If you have a pump that is capable of supplying 15 gpm (whether you use that much or not) the tank should be large enough to allow 15 gallons of drawdown. Drawdown is defined as the amount of water the tank will expel before it is necessary for the pump to come on to replenish the tank.
Ron

Old 06-19-08, 08:18 AM
V
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Even when boosting city water pressure, if the on setting of the pressure switch is higher than the pressure coming from the city, you still need a bigger tank or a constant pressure valve.

Hi Ron