Pump pressure drop

Old 06-11-08, 03:51 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pump pressure drop

I live in North Florida, I do not know how deep my well is although I'd guess it is fairly shallow. The water quality is wonderful. I have began to have pressure problems. Actually the pressure in the house seems to be fine it just will not hold, so my pump is running quite a lot. I watch as my pump shuts off at 50 lbs then the pressure drops to 30 lbs within 15 minutes with out anyone using water,then I shut off the water valve to the house and when it shuts off at 50 lbs it takes about 30 minutes for it to drop to 30 lbs of pressure, no water going out because valve is closed! I have had this well for 3 years and the people I bought it from about 20. I know it has a fairly new tank and pump. Is there a check valve problem, a line leaking or a pump problem? I don't want to burn out a pump. My pump is down in the well (submersed) any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Dave

Old 06-11-08, 07:46 PM
J
if you're losing pressure when the valve to everything is off, then you do have a problem. if i had to guess, your pump is hooked to a galvanized drop pipe. what has most likely happened which is common in north florida, is a small pinhole has rusted into the drop pipe that the pump is hooked to down in that well, probably in the threads of a joint somewhere because that is gonna be the thinnest part of the galvanized pipe.

the only other thing that i could think it might be is that either the in-line check valve in the drop pipe line (if you have one), or the check valve built into the submersible (if it has one). wherever the check valve may be, could be leaking back just a hair letting the pressure drop slowly. this is probably a small chance.

i would put my money in a hole in the drop pipe somewhere. either way, the pump is going to have to be pulled. where i am in north east florida (which is kind of a funky part of the state as far as water wells), a pump could be as shallow as 30' or as deep as 140'. lets hope for more shallow where you are, for your sake. replace the drop pipe joint that has the hole and any other joint that looks the slightest bit questionable. install a new in-line brass spring check valve in the top of the joint of pipe that the pump hooks to (make sure the arrow is pointing the right way.. haha.. i know thats dumb but to say but its easy to do), 10-20 ft. from the pump. if there wasnt a check valve in the drop pipe, put one in it anyway, as you dont want to have to rely on whatever one may or may not be built into that pump. run it all back in there with the same amount of drop pipe it had. wouldnt hurt to let it run on the ground a few minutes because you'll stir up the casing when pulling and re-installing, especially with galvanized well casing. then hook it up and let it roll. remember to use teflon tape or some kind of pipe dope on all the threads. i normally just use teflon on galvanized. if i were called to a job that was doing what you say, thats how i would handle it. around here, i've actually seen galvanized pipes rust a hole in as little as five years

Last edited by justwater; 06-11-08 at 08:13 PM.
Old 06-12-08, 08:24 AM
D
Pump Pressure Drop

justwater:

Thanks for the detail - I live in Columbia County near Lake City. I guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend. I've never pulled a pump before but I have seen it done. I have done enough plumbing that I have no problem with that part of it. You are right about it being galvanized, I noted that when I bought the place and was sure that it would be a problem in the future, presto! I finally was right about something. Any extra precations I should take or tricks? I will kill the power of course, and make sure and not fill up the casing with dirt (sand).

Thanks again

Dave

Old 06-12-08, 02:30 PM
If I am correct. you are using a jet pump. Make sure to save some water before shutting down to prime the pump with later.

Old 06-12-08, 06:52 PM
J
yeah we're not all that far apart. if i were you, i would look around to see if you can find some threaded pvc pipe to install the pump with. i would probably put it together with galvanized couplings and it will be fine.. just tighten the joints up good. with pvc, be careful though when you tighten the pvc into the pump, it tends to thread into the pump too far sometimes and will restrict the flow. remember this when tightening into the check valve too, same thing can happen. this is just a suggestion though. galvanized would also be fine. dont be scared with the teflon and pipe dope.

getting it out will probably be a pain but i think you got it.. the good thing about the pvc is, if you're careful, and if i were you i would get somebody to help, you can easily put it all together on the ground, pump and all, and install it all at once. just be very careful not to bend it too much, especially at the joints. i also have a pretty good way to use glued pvc. i set it up a little different than the threaded though. alot of people will tell you not to do it, but i've found you just have to be very careful in what fittings you use when putting it together. but anyway, i'm glad to help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: