sump pump install

Old 06-14-08, 11:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
sump pump install

Hello, need some advise...

I have a 100+ year old house and have problems with water in my basement particularly in one room. It comes from the corner when we have a heavy rain or when the snow melts in the spring. I've decided to install a sump pump in that corner but I'm not sure how I'm gonna cut a perfect round circle through my 4 to 6 inch concrete floor so I can dig the hole. Is there a tool I can rent that will do this? Or do I have to just get out the chisil and sledge hammer?

Also any suggestions on installing the sump pump like how deep the hole and type of liner etc?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-08, 06:18 PM
I can't help you much on the concrete but I would put in as large a pit as possible. This is the biggest problem I see on new homes. They have all this water coming in and they have a standard 18x24" pit. If I were putting a new pit in my house it would be at least 24x24" and deeper if possible. You will double the life of your pump because it will run half as often. Could you maybe drill a series of holes around the diameter of the pit and jack hammer out the middle? Sawing seems like it would make a big mess but I'm not a concrete guy. We have pits in poly(plastic) or fiberglass. Poly should work fine for your project.

Old 06-21-08, 11:08 PM
hey thanks for your reply, I guess i should've asked the concrete question in another forum. But you did answer my question...thank you. I think I will use the drilling idea, don't know why I didn't think of that myself, makes perfect sense.

And I will go bigger on the hole also thanks for the tip.