New check valve, now pump starts and stops

Old 06-22-08, 11:08 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New check valve, now pump starts and stops

Ok, I spent the last 6 hours replacing a checkvalve that had become defective. Now that I have the new system primed, the pump builds pressure to approx 42 psi and cuts off. It immediately begins cutting on and off at the pressure switch until it gets back down to it's cut on pressure of about 25psi. After the first or second round of this, the chug sound reverberating through the whole house continues for about 10 seconds and tapers off in both frequency and strength until about 38 psi where the drama stops.

I've checked my pressure tank for waterlogging, and everything seems to be fine there. I even closed the valve to it for a test that didn't go as I had planed!

I've also tested to ensure both the pump and the line from the check valve to pump are still primed and they are, it's about 9" from valve to pump. The well is ouside about 30 ft away.

Here's my hardware:

Blue Angel - Jet Pump Water System Shallow Well SBS50
LDR - Swing Check Valve 3/4" 200WOG

My first suspicion was that I purchased the wrong check valve as it sounded like it was blowing back, but it says it's rated to 200 lbs. I don't know if that's ok or not, but I think it is.

I did have to get some funky hardware connectors, and since I'm not sure if it is part of the problem, I'll add them. From the 3/4 copper pipe from the well, I have a 3/4 soldered to 3/4 threaded adapter into the check valve.

Exiting the checkvalve is a nipple connected to a 3/4 to 1/2 threaded adapter. The female end of that is connected to a 1/2 threaded to 3/4 soldered adapter, then into the original union to the pump.

If there is a problem with the adapters, would it be in the downsize then upsize portion? Have I created a sort of venturi effect here?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm going to bed now, and expect an altering hot/cold shower in the morning. I'll check back to answer any questions you have, and prepare to try any solutions you can suggest.

Thank you from Alaska!
Jon

Old 06-24-08, 06:53 AM
V
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Your pressure switch is probably on the side of the pump. With this arrangement you cannot have a check valve after the pump. Either remove the check valve, or move the sensing line for the pressure switch to the tank side of the check valve.

Old 06-24-08, 07:15 AM
A
No, the checkvalve is between the pump and the well, before the intake side of the pump. The output of the pump goes to my pressure tank and then on to the rest of the system.

Thanks for the reply!

Old 06-24-08, 07:26 AM
V
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you are sure there is not another check valve before the tank, then your swing check valve is not holding. It is not the size of the check but, the fact that it is a swing check that is the problem. I would use at least a 1" check, and I would only use a spring loaded check valve. Swing checks always give problems.

Old 06-24-08, 07:49 AM
A
While I was standing in the bathroom today listening to the chugging sound, I was trying to imagine what was happening down there. In my mind I could see the swing valve opening and slamming shut, which got me to thinking that there could be something up with that valve.

I'll take your advice and head down town today to see what they have there in the way of spring loaded valves.

Thanks

Old 06-24-08, 08:52 PM
P
If I'm understanding this correctly, is the suction line to the pump reduced down as small as 1/2"?
What size is the discharge line from the pump to the tank?
Ron
Hi Cary!!

Old 06-24-08, 11:25 PM
A
yes, it was, but I was able to find the proper adapter, so now I'm 3/4 all the way.

I went into town and asked one of the shop guys. He said it wasn't so much the restriction I did, but in fact the check valve I got was not the right kind.

The one I got the valve closes at 90 degrees to the flow of water, meaning I should have had the valve in a more verticle install. He handed me a made in usa valve in which the flapper is closed in a 45 degree angle to the flow of water.

He said the chuging sound was a result of the valve bouncing as it closes.

I got it all fixed tonight, after finding some leaks after a poor first time solderer. Wife is happy, pump is happy, house is happy!

Thanks for all your help!

Old 06-26-08, 09:36 AM
J
you'll probably be replacing that before long.. so when you do, get yourself a good brass spring check valve, and you can install it any angle you want.

Old 06-26-08, 10:23 AM
A
the before long you mentioned came that night at about 1am.

I found that the swing valve I had purchased was not seating properly as well.

I headed into town the next morning and they guy behind the counter said he wished he was there the first time I came by, he'd a pointed the spring valve at me and sent me off with that one.

I've got installed, however, there is still something wrong with the system. The valve is holding, pressure is up! But if the pump doesn't run within 15minutes, it looses it's prime before the checkvalve.

i have a sneaky suspicion that it's the only solder joint I did well side of the valve. While I know HOW to solder, the technique just isn't there yet. More like a Glob'n Job. The only way it could be loosing it's prime is because of an air leak, right?

It will have to wait until Saturday, I have the water in my stationary tub set to a tinkle which brings the pump on every 7 or 8 minutes, and I can hear it passing air for the first few seconds.

I'll let you guys know how I faired. At least I could take a shower this AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: