Need some help

Old 07-04-08, 06:41 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need some help

Ok in oct. of last year we replaced the pump to our well the air tank and all the electrical stuff on the out side of the well, because our water was cutting off and on. It has been doing fine since we did all this but now its doing it again. When you turn the water on and run for a about 5 mins it just stops for about 2 seconds and then comes back on. Im just wondering if the water treatment system we have on our house is causing this problem. If there is anyone out there that could help me solve this problem I would really appricate it.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-08, 08:29 AM
That is a common symptom of the expansion tank being over pressurized. I would check the pressure on the tank. There should be a fitting on the top of the tank to check it with.
I prefer having the water pressure down to zero when performing this task.
Once you have the pressure reading, you will also need to know the cut-in pressure of the pump. Then you want to set the tank AIR pressure to 3psi UNDER the cut-in setting of the pump.
I am pretty sure this will solve your problem.

Old 07-04-08, 08:51 AM
oh wow. I almost bet thats what we should of done before we spent all that money lol. Thanks for your quick reply I will have someone check that out for me

Old 07-04-08, 09:58 AM
Question

Originally Posted by dannysgirl View Post
oh wow. I almost bet thats what we should of done before we spent all that money lol. Thanks for your quick reply I will have someone check that out for me
ok here is what the paper says that came with the pump.
cut in at 40 psi and cut off at 60psi. now we went out and check the air in the tank with the pressure on 0 and it read
36 psi. and with pump on it read 58 psi. So is this where it should be and if so then we have a different problem .

Old 07-04-08, 04:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sounds like you have the correct air pressure in the tank. The next thing to check is the little 1/4" nipple that the pressure switch is screwed onto. In our area we have to use a brass nipple because a galv nipple will clog up in about 6 months and start causing this problem.

Old 07-04-08, 04:56 PM
OK, You said, in the paper that came with the pump...

What I need to know is actuality.

Run the pump up to pressure,(cut-out), write down the pressure reading.
Then open a faucet and wait for the pump to kick on, (cut-in), and read the psi.

Also while waiting for the pump to kick on, does the needle drop to zero for a second or two then start to go back up?

This will give me an answer to the tank issue.
Sometimes the pressure switch may not be set according to the paperwork, so this is how to double check.

Old 07-06-08, 12:45 PM
Unhappy

None of that worked. We just put a new pressure switch on and nipple and we still have the same problem . My dad seems to think we have a leak down in the well. We checked the house and nothing is leaking. If you guys have any other ideas would love to hear them

Old 07-06-08, 05:24 PM
IF it were a leak in the well, it would not make the water stop for a couple of seconds then start back up when running. It would make the pump come on and off frequently when the water is off, if there is no check valve at the tank. And if there is a check valve at the tank, the only thing that should happen is maybe some air bubbles with the water as it is running.

If you have a compressor, would you do me a favor? I would like you to lower the pressure in the tank to 25 or 30 lbs if you are using a 40/60 pressure switch and tell me what happens. If you are running a 30/50 switch, make it 15 or 20 lbs please.

If it still does not work or show signs of improvement, you can refill the tank pressure to the normal setting. This is just for my curiosity.

Last edited by plumbingods; 07-07-08 at 04:16 AM.
Old 07-07-08, 03:48 AM
Vey
Originally Posted by plumbingods View Post

If you have a compressor, would you do me a favor?
Or bicycle pump. It doesn't take much air volume.