Pressure switch or water pressure tank?

Old 07-06-08, 05:34 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pressure switch or water pressure tank?

Hello - We are trying to determine if the pressure switch is bad and needs to be replaced or the water pressure tank, with a bladder in it, has gone bad.

The symptom is when you run water, the pressure switch kicks on and off continually. The pressure gauge goes from 40 psi to 65 psi (up and down). We have good water pressure but concerned about the switch going on and off all the time.

What should we check to determine the problem and what should we should fix?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-08, 06:42 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
if the pressure goes up and down quite quickly and the pump turns on and off with the switch, I would say the pressure tank is the problem.

It may not be bad though. It may simply need to have the air charged properly.

It should be 2 psi less than the cut in pressure (which would appear to be 40 psi).

with no pressure in the system, if you remove the shrader valve core and turn on the pump, if youget a shower, the bladder is ruptured and needs to be replaced.

If no water comes a sprayin out, then I would turn off the system, replcae the schrader valve core, drain the pressure and set the air in the tank to 38 psi ansd see what happens when you turn it on again.

Old 07-08-08, 04:14 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I checked the air pressure in the tank as you mentioned and the tank was low on air so I filled it to 38 psi and it seems to be working fine. Thank for the info.