Is this a sump pump?

Old 07-25-08, 10:25 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is this a sump pump?

My friend bought a new pump, very similar like this:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...RES&lpage=none

We placed into the pit in the basement. The pit is about 2 feet deep. After an initial big draining, most of the water in the pit has been drained out. Then, the pump kicks in constantly, about every 5 minutes , trying to drain the remaining water and keep the water level very low, about 2 inches, as the bottom of the pit is not flat , mixed with some concrete stones.

I just guess it was not a regular sump pump, not floating ball, a kind of submersible. It really works too "hard."

Old 07-25-08, 11:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The fact that it came from Lowes, is all plastic and says it's electronic should be enough to scare you off. If you want to protect your home or basement from flooding, I would be looking to spend a lot more money than you did on that one.

bob...

Old 07-25-08, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I think thats more of a utility/temporary use pump. For pool covers, spa's, etc.

Old 07-25-08, 11:57 AM
That pump is more or less for someone without a pit. It sits on the floor, that is why it pumps down to 1/8"

Those electronic switches do not hold up for a regular sump pump that you leave in a pit.

Old 07-25-08, 06:52 PM
L
Thumbs up

you are right. We should replace it with a real sump pump.

What about this?
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...WS1&lpage=none

Thank you all.

Old 07-25-08, 07:15 PM
Yes, that is more like what you want. I cannot say I will vouch for pumps sold at the big box stores, as far as reliability. I buy my pumps from plumbing stores. They might cost a little more but proven pumps.

Old 07-26-08, 01:02 PM
Another all plastic pump. You have come up one notch. If you insist on buying one form Lowes, just pick one, they are pretty much all the same quality.

bob...

Old 07-26-08, 01:56 PM
If you are going to get one from Lowes, at least get the one with the highest quality rating. You have to remember, that this pump is going to keep water out of your house/basement.

Old 07-26-08, 02:55 PM
Hey Bob,

If you followed the link to Lowes that lzhang provided. you will find that the pump chosen is actually cast iron body, not plastic.

That does not mean I am vouching for their reliability, I just wanted to bring this info to the attention of the members

Old 07-26-08, 03:27 PM
Is this a sump pump?

Once you have a pump that will work, you must set the limits on the operation.

Also, make sure you have a check valve just above the pump to prevent water from the discharge from draining back into the sump and causing "short cycling", which makes the pump recycle too soon.

Dick

Old 07-26-08, 07:29 PM
V
NexPump Sump Pump System

The only system that anyone ever needs is the NexPump System. The one that CALLS & EMAILS before there is ever an issue. I have one in my basement and NEVER worry about flooding

Old 07-27-08, 07:47 PM
B
Nexpump looks wonderful, except for the sticker shock when I looked at the price. Does look like a nice system.

Old 07-28-08, 07:38 AM
Hey Bob,

If you followed the link to Lowes that lzhang provided. you will find that the pump chosen is actually cast iron body, not plastic.
Your right, I didn't read the fine print. It sure looks like a plastic pump. And I'm with you, I wouldn't vouch for any quality coming from those Pumps.

bob...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: