2" deep well drop pipe size?

Old 08-01-08, 08:37 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2" deep well drop pipe size?

I have all the parts needed for my 2" deep well. I have my 2" deep well packer and right angle well adapter for the top of the 2" pipe. Right angle adapter will be connected with PVC to the 1HP jet pump, not directly to the adapter.. My question is: I read and called several well companies and they tell me to use 1 1/4" drop pipe or suction pipe. The problem is, the turned couplings to join the pipe together will go inside the 2" pvc pipe but there isn't much room for the water to flow passed them down the 2" casing. I am worried it will not create enough flow or pressure down inside the pipe around the couplings to the packer to help push water up the 1 1/4" pipe. Should I use 1" pipe or will this work ok? I am afraid 1" pipe will not be enough flow. For details about the well,, from top of 2" pipe to water level is 50', well is 140'. Planning on putting packer with foot valve to around 70' to 75'. Just using this well for the lawn and garden. Thanks!

Old 08-01-08, 09:54 PM
1" or 1 1/4 pipe will be fine. You will get all the water the pump will pump. I would set the a little deeper. 90' or 100' Just in case the well does not make enough water.

Old 08-01-08, 10:18 PM
S
So couplings are no problem?

Thanks Waterwelldude for the fast reply! So the couplings in the well will be ok for the 1 1/4" even though there very close to the 2" casing? I wasn't sure how much water needed to be pushed down the well for it to perform correctly. I would say when I tried out the coupling inside the pipe, you might could get a credit card to slide by it. Is that enough gap for the water to go by all those couplings as I will add 10' at a time? I already bought the 1 1/4" pipe and couplings today but can return them for smaller if you think it is best to go to 1". I just know how hard it is to pull a leather packer back out! If all is ok, will head back for more 1 1/4" to drop down deeper as you advised. Thanks again.

Old 08-01-08, 10:34 PM
---->IF<----!! the couplings were turned down for the 2" you should not have any prob. If you are not sure they will fit. Test fit them on some scrap 2" pipe...Not the well.

Old 08-01-08, 10:47 PM
S
Yes, I had an extra 2" pvc pipe and they all fit inside, has a little play, not much, just a little wiggle! But they will all slip inside the pipe and out easy. When the water is pumping, does it pump the same amount down the 2" pipe as comes out the 1 1/4" pipe? Sorry for all the questions, just not very familiar with the 2" well, only worked on the 6-8" drilled wells that uses 2 lines or a submersible pump!

Old 08-02-08, 11:37 AM
only worked on the 6-8" drilled wells that uses 2 lines or a submersible pump!

I can't think of a submersible pump that uses 2 lines. Do you mean 2 pipes, 2 wires or?

When you are setting the pipe,make sure you don't get any trash in the pipe. Sticks, grass, or any thing else. Keep the drop pipe as clean as possible.

Old 08-02-08, 11:43 AM
V
Vey
I think he runs a good chance of jamming it. I wrote what I recommend on another board where he asked the same question.

Old 08-02-08, 11:47 AM
Vey, can you copy and post it here. I may be missing something. The more opinions the better.

Old 08-02-08, 03:39 PM
S
Talking I got it working!

Thanks Vey and waterwell dude for your help. I took the 1 1/4 inch pipe back and went with 1 inch. And thanks vey, got your message on the other board also. Went to Lowe's and they do not carry the inside fitting here so was much easier just going with 1" so I would not get something stuck, break it and then have no well at all! My wife has it running out there now watering her flower garden to see how it does and get the water moving and circulating. I was very surprised to see it clean and clear as this well was never used and was drilled about 8 years ago from a mining company taking rock samples. Been running it about 3 hrs. now and still pumping fine. I do have it hooked to a pressure tank and it pumped it up to 50 psi fast but thinking about dropping it to 45 psi. About the 6-8 wells I was taking about I had worked on, the one with 2 lines with a jet pump and the other like my drilled well for my house with a submersible pump. Thanks again and I will be back if I have any problems.

Old 05-29-09, 01:01 AM
I
help

I live in Florida I have a f & w 1/2 hp well pump, I think its about a 50 ft 3" well. I have the deep well hook-up from the pump inside the house to the well head its about 20 feet away. The well primes fine, and has adequate pressure. But the suction pipe going from the pump to the well head is only 3/4" pvc instead of 1 1/4" pvc. The pressure line is also 3/4" pvc instead of 1" pvc. F&W recommends at 20 ft away from the well head to the pump to use the larger size pipe for the suction and pressure. The pump is rated @ 30/50 cut-in and cut-off, I have it set to 20/40. Otherwise it continues to run. My question is, Could the smaller diameter pipe between the pump and the well head be causing the lower pressure or is it strictly a weak well and that is why someone used the smaller diameter pipe?

Old 05-30-09, 08:40 AM
P
The reason F&W (and all the other manufacturers) recommend the bigger pipe is because of friction losses. Friction loss = pressure loss. As water runs through piping, it creates friction, which means the pump has to create more pressure to overcome the loss. This happens on both the suction side and discharge side of the pump. The smaller the pipe, the more friction loss there is.
If the pump is to be installed away from the well, the piping size should actually be increased to alleviate the friction loss.
I don't know the reason your pipe size was decreased, but perhaps the pump was "overpumping" the well, which can happen. Without knowing the capabilities of the well, I can't say that increasing pipe size would help anything, but I also don't think it would hurt a thing.
Ron

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: