Well/Pressure Tank noise

Old 08-23-08, 07:34 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Well/Pressure Tank noise

Hi There,

We have been noticing a noise happening that seems to be when the pressure tank turns off and sometimes when it comes on. We have a very deep well, with a 2000 gal holding tank. The holding tank is almost full. At first we were not sure what was making the noise, but this morning, I ran a load of laundry and waited for the pressure tank to come on. When it came on, it looked like the pressure was ok (no noise yet). Then when the tank went off, I was right down by the gauge and heard it made the noise. Almost like it's having a hard time turning off? Does this sound like a problem with the pump in the holding tank or the pressure tank? Both are around 16 years old.

Thanks!

Old 08-23-08, 08:25 AM
V
Vey
Do you have a holding tank AND a pressure tank?
What does the noise sound like?

Old 08-23-08, 08:33 AM
L
Thanks for responding.

Yes, we have a holding tank underground outside with a pump in there and a pressure tank inside the house. It's hard to describe the noise, It's almost like the pressure tank is having a hard time turning off so it's pretty loud, like maybe a connection or switch is going out?

Old 08-23-08, 09:01 AM
L
FYI - My husband said he thinks it sounds like a belt sander. I'm not sure I agree, it's difficult to describe noises.

Old 08-24-08, 07:21 AM
L
Well, you won't believe this. Turns out we had the outdoor hose turned on, but with the nozzle shut off. For some reason, this was causing the noise. Once we shut the hose off, no more noise!

Old 08-24-08, 08:00 AM
V
Vey
I'm glad you figured it out because it had me stumped. That's why I didn't reply. I had nothing to even suggest.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: