pump suggestions needed

Old 09-05-08, 08:04 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
pump suggestions needed

I have a well that is about 27' deep and want to pump water out to water my yard and garden. I have never done this, and am not sure exactly what I need, and was hoping to get advice on the design of the system. A simple way I thought of was to get a shallow well jet pump and simply put a garden hose on the end, but I would like to run the water through several sprinklers/drip outlets. I suppose I could simply do that and turn the pump on and off manually, but I wondered if it would be better to get a jet pump with an attached pressure tank or not. If I get fancy I might put it on an electric timer. I am trying to do this very cheaply, but don't want something that won't work. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-08, 10:42 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
So it looks like I don't really need to spend the extra $$ for a tank, even if I hook it up to a timer that runs both sprinklers and the pump? If I understand Valveguy correctly, it is better for the pump to run continuously while the sprinkler is on than to cycle on and off automatically; is that correct? So this isn't a problem if I get a pump without a pressure switch, and if I had a pump with a pressure switch, then I simply need to make sure that enough water can get out of the sprinklers/drips so that the pump keeps running. But as Vey says, I don't want the pump to have to pump against a dead head, which would also probably include too few drips.

Thanks very much for this info.