Pipe Size for 3/4 Hp Sump Pump

Old 10-04-08, 03:36 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pipe Size for 3/4 Hp Sump Pump

I purchased the Battery Watchdog Greenline 3/4 hp sump pump. It comes with a 2" to 1 1/2 inch adapter in the box which is also mentioned as an option in the instructions. It is rated to pump 5300 gph at 0' and 3630 at 10'.

However, when I got home, I found that my sump pump pipes are 1 1/4 inches. I am now concerned that this pump would be too much for this pipe size or that the pump motor would be straining to blast that much water through a smaller pipe. Is this a valid concern?

My alternative is to return the pump and get the 1/2 hp model which is rated at 4100 gph at 0' or 2770 at 10'. Let me know what you think.

I was hoping to get this done tonight.

Thanks,
John

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-08, 04:50 PM
larger pipe size, yes easier on pump, but bends in the pipe matter more, if your pipe doesn't have more than 1-2 bends then I would just use that pump. unless you are pumping a very long distance it will not matter very much.

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies

Old 10-04-08, 06:23 PM
Pump #1 will work, but at 60 gpm. Your pump will be under a strain. It should be on 2" pipe.

Pump #2 would be better suited for the size pipe you have now. At 43gpm 1.25 pipe would be fine.

Just remember neither pump is designed to pump any pressure.

Travis