Best Sump Pump & Battery Back Up

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-08, 11:35 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Best Sump Pump & Battery Back Up

Hi,
Our home is about 3 years old and the sump pump went out. We didn't buy the best knowing we would be replacing it shortly.
However, now we are about to finish out the basement with carpet, furniture...and I do not want to risk any water damage. We want to be sure to get the best sump pump on the market but as importantly the best battery back up?

We were told to use a Zoeller pump and a Stevens DC3010 battery. However, after doing a bit of research I am wondering what the experts think.

I have seen a computer generated back up system called the "Watchdog". It sounds terrific as supposedly it alarms if there are any problems whatsoever. Any experts feedback on this would be great.
Thank you in advance,
Marcia

Old 10-28-08, 04:53 AM
B
back up

We may not be able to tell you what the "best" system is, only our opinions. I have the Pro Series 2200 , which like the Watchdog, is made by Glentronics. If this link does not work, do a google search for the 2200. http://www.proseriespumps.com/backup_sump_pump_2400.htm. Very reliable, tests itself and lets you know if there is a problem. I have had this for a couple years, and has worked great the several times we have had power outages.

Old 10-28-08, 05:33 AM
N
Sump Pump and BackUp

I have high ground water where I am at and installed a new pump/backup when I finished my basement. Most of the time my pump will kick on about every 45 minutes. I did some research on the internet and here is what I came up with. I installed a BARNES 1/3 hp pump with a Verticalmaster switch about a year ago. Pump is very quiet and not one problem. I also installed the Basement Watchdog Special. This is the "middle of the road" system. It worked flawlessly last summer a couple of times when we lost our power. The only thing that I have done is add water to the battery. I also test the pump once a month to make sure it is OK. I don't think that this it the "best" battery backup out there, but it all depends on how much money you want to spend and how redundant you want your backup system to be!

Old 10-28-08, 03:51 PM
M
Thanks Gentlemen for your responses.

For me personally, I guess cost is not so much an issue as is piece of mind. Although I do not want to spend more than need be.
At this point I am home by myself quite a bit therefore the less I have to worry about the better.

Also the house is an open floor plan therefore the east wing is open to the basement and currently I can hear the pump from my kitchen. Actually there is a door to the east wing and I can hear the pump from there as well. So I guess I need something reliable and fairly quiet. I will check out info you forwarded. Thanks again,
Marcia

Old 11-07-08, 06:58 AM
C
Allow me suggest

two specific systems:

The SmartSump with the UltraSump Backup System from Basement Systems. This system includes a cast iron Zoeller 1/3 hp pump and a battery operated backup pump, which automatically kicks in when the main battery stops running, capable of pumping up to 11,000 gallons of water running on the energy stored in a full battery. It comes with mounted in a air-tight sturdy sump pit, and includes a WaterWatch alarm to let you know when the main pump stops.

If money is not an issue and you really want the best system available, I'd recommend the TripleSafe System, from the same company. It has not one, but two cast iron Zoeller pumps: A 1/3 hp M-53 and a 1/2 hp M-98, in addition to the UltraSump battery operated backup pump. It comes mounted in a container specifically designed for it, with and air-tight sealed lid, a floor drain system to collect any ground water with a valve that will prevent evaporated water from the sump pit to get back into your basement. It also comes with the WaterWatch Alarm.
This product reduces the odds of of ever having a flooded basement to statistical nsignificance.

Old 11-25-08, 10:30 AM
B
I'm in a similar position so I hope you don't mind if I hop on this train for a bit.

My basement will flood very quickly: 2-3hrs with no sump pump running and the water is out of the pit. Scary stuff! In the fall and winter, my pump runs about every 2 minutes, for roughly 30s (maybe a bit more) at a time. There's enough cycling that regular cheapie floats will burn out in about a year (so I installed a commercial, higher-current-capable float which, touch wood, seems to be holding up).

Looking for a reliable battery backup that is capable of meeting this type of demand and will survive a workday or overnight - 8-10hrs (accounting for the worst case scenario if we're away from the house). I've also had insurance hassles after a flood, not to mention, the general heart-ache from having to handle the repercussions of a flood.

Old 11-26-08, 07:57 AM
C
Originally Posted by babzog View Post
ILooking for a reliable battery backup that is capable of meeting this type of demand and will survive a workday or overnight - 8-10hrs (accounting for the worst case scenario if we're away from the house). .
If you really want to have peace of mind, I'd strongly suggest you to take a look at the whole TripleSafe System, with not one but two high capacity back up sumps and an alarm systems that will let you know when the main pump stops and the backups kick in.

This system reduces the odds of you ever having a flooded basement, even with the type of water problem you are facing, to statistical insignificance.
I don't think there is anything comparable to this system in the market and I am always researching.

Here's some info on the system:
TripleSafe Sump Pump System with Three Pumps, Battery Backup, Alarm, and Air-tight Cover

Old 11-26-08, 03:33 PM
B
back ups

Thats a pretty crowded crock with 3 pumps in it. No room for error, very crowded to try to change any one of them out when they fail. You will also need to make sure your drain tile can handle the outflow if the M98 and M53 are both pumping at once. Zoeller is one of the best out there, if they could only come up with a switch that would last longer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: