No water from well

Old 12-22-08, 02:41 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No water from well

Woke up this morning to no water. Since the temps here have been in the teens at night my first thought was frozen pipes. My wife's parents live on the property and share the well with us. They also had no water, so if the pipes are frozen it would have to be in the pump house for it to effect both houses.
I checked the power supply from the power pole on my way to the pump house and it was fine, the fuses in the pump house were fine and the heater in the pump house was working. I opened the pressure regulator and activated the pump it was working. I went back inside to discuss with the wife and found out the water was now working. So no frozen pipes.
However, after a moment the pressure dwindled and we again had no water. The pressure gauge is reading 90psi and when I active the pump it goes up to 100psi and we get water. I am not sure if the pressure regulator is not working properly and/or the pressure gauge. Any insight would be great. I am not all that familiar with well pumps. The pressure regulator is probably only 2yrs old. Sorry for the long post.

Thank you,

Jon

Old 12-22-08, 05:22 PM
F
Cool

have you tried priming the pump with city water? and also check and make sure you have air pressure on the expansion tank.

Old 12-25-08, 04:16 AM
I
My first question would be why are you operating at such high pressures?It would seem that 40 on the low side and 60 on the cutoff high side pressure for the house would be more of what you would want in a house. If your putting a 100 psi into the house thats some pretty serious water pressure to operate with.
It sounds like a pressure regulating,switch problem. I would try replacing that first and see if it helps. I would also figure out why you are operating at such high pressures.

Old 01-01-09, 01:20 PM
H
perhaps the higher pressure feeding two houses? to compensate for friction loss?
Is this a low level cut off pressure switch that you are activating? if the pressure is not that normally high, it mabe a plugged pressure switch line. Essentially holding the pressure in the diaphram of the switch holding the contacts in a open position.

Old 01-01-09, 01:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'll bet the small pipe conecting the pressure switch to the water supply has frozen up. When this happens the pump will not come on when the water tank pressure drops. Put a heat lamp on it.

Old 12-14-10, 07:41 PM
T
heat lamprocks

Thanks for the info. I installed the heat lamp and now have water flowing again previously I had no water coming into the house.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: