Well Problem????

Old 01-21-09, 09:53 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Well Problem????

Let me start with saying I am not a Plumber so if I don't use the correct terms, pardon me.

My well is in a cider block housing about 4 ft underground. We have had the pump replaced two years ago and the pressure tank replaced 3 months ago.

We lost water two nights ago. I of course assumed since it was @ 11 degrees that whole day that something might of froze. None of the pipes in my basement appeared to be frozen. I opened a facet we have in the basement and the rest of the water that was in the pipes drained out. I went down into the well housing and the facet that is connected to the pipe that come right out of the pump in the ground ( the pipe is about 3 feet long), I opened that facet and no water came out. The pressure tank was at 0. Next, this might be bad so don't cringe if it is.. I then took a blower torch lightly over that pipe that comes out of the ground from the pump for about 15 minutes. I also tried messing with the breakers and checked to make sure electric was going to the well housing and it was. Around that time I don't know whether the pipe had unfroze enough or whether I triggered something else, the pressure tank went up to about 50 and the water came out of the facet in the well. I then turned the facet off and we had water in the house for the next three hours anyway until I went to bed. The next morning there was no water again. I have since bought heat tape and insulation for the pipe that is coming out of the ground from the pump and the water has not come back on. (it is definitely something in the well because the water wont come out of the facet right off of the pump in the well housing) The pressure tank is still at 0. I'm not sure whether this is a pressure tank problem (maybe because it is new) or if the tank has no pressure because the pump is possibly frozen. It is currently above freezing here and there is still no water. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.. Thank you..

Old 01-21-09, 12:42 PM
H
Sounds like you thawed the pipe with the torch. Maybe the pressure switch line is frozen now, look to see if the contacts on the pressure switch are in a open or closed position.

Old 01-21-09, 01:24 PM
C
You don't say where you're located, but if it ONLY got down to 11, I assume you're not in New York.
One of the 1st things to freeze on a pump is that 1/4" tube between the pressure switch and the pump. Don't get carried away with a torch.
Do you have any heat in your well house? Believe it or not, a well insulated well house and a light socket with a 60 - 75 watt bulb has kept folks out of trouble up here in NY to -20.

Old 01-21-09, 01:41 PM
S
lol..true I know its gets much colder in other areas.. I am one state below you in Pa. I did have a light bulb in there but it must have burned out and I guess its much harder to unfreeze than to keep from being frozen. I also know where the pressure switches are located, I just don't know how to tell if they are on or off. Again I'm definitely no plumber..

Old 01-21-09, 02:45 PM
B
Originally Posted by chuckret View Post
You don't say where you're located, but if it ONLY got down to 11, I assume you're not in New York.
One of the 1st things to freeze on a pump is that 1/4" tube between the pressure switch and the pump. Don't get carried away with a torch.
Do you have any heat in your well house? Believe it or not, a well insulated well house and a light socket with a 60 - 75 watt bulb has kept folks out of trouble up here in NY to -20.
Hey neighbor! I'm between Naples and Honeoye.

Old 01-21-09, 05:25 PM
S
turns out one of the fuses in the small breaker box inside the well house (the old school screw in kind) was blown. It was a cheap fix. Thank god.

Old 01-22-09, 04:14 AM
C
How many times have we overlooked the obvious? I know it's happened to me before. Glad to find out that you have water again.
We never miss nothin' 'til we ain't got it !

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: