Lost well pump line in deep well

Old 02-08-09, 01:57 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lost well pump line in deep well

Please excuse me. I don't know technical terms and am asking to try to help my husband. He's not really in the mood to talk right now! We have deep well and he was lowering lines. Clamps on safety rope let go and went down the well. How do you retrieve a well pump? Is there a special tool?

Old 02-08-09, 02:10 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
I can guarantee the well companies have a trick or two. He might ask at your local plumbing supply, although asking is probably what he is trying to avoid.

Do you know how far down the pipe is?

Bud

Old 02-08-09, 02:18 PM
F
I know the well is over 300 feet deep and the pump is at the bottom where I assume it belongs. I believe the pipe that brings the water up is about 30 feet down from the top of the casing. It's that black pipe that he needs to retrieve.

Old 02-08-09, 03:02 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
With a 300 ft well, I doubt if the water is that high, then maybe he can see it. If he can reach it with a length or two of copper pipe, he may be able to snag it. Just that nothing comes to mind as to what he can hook it with. It has to be a really good connection as 250 ft of pipe and a pump aren't going to be light. I'm picturing something like a pipe lowered to several feet below the target pipe, with a corkscrew type device on the end so you can rotate it and get around the well pipe. If the tip of that corkscrew had a rope attached, the rope could be wrapped around the pipe as much as possible and perhaps bind tight enough to lift it out.

Easy for me to say.

I'll keep thinking
Bud

Old 02-08-09, 04:14 PM
F
From what I understand, the black pipe going to the quick connect is about 30 feet down.

My husband is pondering your idea and trying to figure out how that would work.

We appreciate any and all suggestions.

Old 02-08-09, 08:49 PM
How large is the casing?
What size is the drop pipe?(the pipe the pump is on)

Is the rope that fell tied to the pump,and is it taped to the pipe? Is the wire taped or tied to the drop pipe?

What exactly is on the top of the pipe that fell?

With some of these answered, we might be able to point you in the direction that may help get the pump out.

What you are trying to do is not easy. Most well co. get a lot of money for fishing the pump out. I know that is not what you want to hear.

We will do what we can to help.

Travis

Old 02-09-09, 06:05 AM
F
The casing is 8".

The drop pipe 1".

The rope was tied through the rope clips but the clip broke so, no, it is no longer tied t the pump nor taped to the pipe. It is completely out of the well.

The wire is taped to the drop pipe.

The top of the pipe that fell--there is a garden hose connected to that 1" pipe. It is clamped with a coupler.

You're right....we don't want to have someone come out to retrieve this!

Old 02-10-09, 01:52 PM
F
We got it!!

Thank you for your suggestions. We got it back out in just a couple of minutes. Our neighbor made a tool and it worked like a charm. I'm trying to get him to patent it!

Old 02-10-09, 02:22 PM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Care to share what kind of tool? Congrats btw. Beer 4U2

Old 02-11-09, 01:34 PM
F
I don't know how to explain it, and since it's not a "real" tool, it doesn't have a name.

But I am still trying to get him to patent it! If he doesn't want to, I'll try to get pictures and post them.

Old 06-01-10, 09:08 AM
D
Help please

Ok so we are having the same problem now. Our pipe broke as did our rope attached to the pump. We can see the pipe and the electrical wire down about 15 feet or so but we can't get ahold of it. If there is anyway you could explain or post pictures of this "tool" I would really appreciate it.

Old 10-13-12, 05:41 PM
E
Would be nice to know how you got it out?!

Same problem for me, its exactly 30 feet down,
we made 30 feet long pipe with thread and trying to screw it on onto that pipe, but when we catch the thread its catches and we think it spins the whole pipe and when try to lift it it snaps off

Monday we will be putting camera down to see, but seems that we will need to call well company, Im pretty sure they have some tricks how to get it out, hopefully!. Hopefully we will not need to dig a new well!

Old 10-13-12, 07:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,316 Votes on 1,216 Posts
You almost need something that mountain climbers use. The tool gets pushed into a crack in the rock or in this case, the pipe, and then as you pull it gets tighter. I'm going to see if I can find out if that idea will work.

I would need to go to a climbing store to see the actual product but they make these in different sizes. I'd imagine that you could connect this device to the end of a pipe and run a trigger rope up the center of the pipe.

Metolius Safe Climbing Gear | Gear Review | Gear Junkie

Last edited by PJmax; 10-13-12 at 07:17 PM. Reason: added info

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: