well pump wont fill pressure tank?

Old 02-22-09, 08:04 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
well pump wont fill pressure tank?

Have had no water since Monday. The pump was only about a yr and 1/2 old and thought I'd been having pressure tank issues for some time so bought a new tank. Still no water, got new pump. The pump is working and full of water so its holding the prime but the tank does not seem to be filling at all? We can get water for a couple minutes out of faucets and the pump has not shut off since it was installed. Had my son install both. (he installed last pump as well) the tank is at 28 psi, set for the 30/50 cut in/off numbers on the pump. Why wont it fill with water? I've gone thru instructions for both and cant find any info in them that seems to be any help. I have no $ to pay anyone to fix this, I just spent what little I had on the tank and pump, neither of which are returnable of course. Also, should I unplug the pump if it wont turn off? I am not comfortable with letting it run for long periods of time (like overnight).

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-09, 08:20 PM
from reading your post i am going to guess that you have a jet pump, if it won't build pressure you have air somewhere entering the system, either from pumping the well down, or sucking air into a fitting between the pump and the well or a bad jet valve, check out the stickys on this forum and see if any of those can help then please post back with any more questions.

if we're not supposed to eat animals why are they made out of meat?

Old 03-22-09, 08:54 PM
W
still no water...

i looked at the stickys but didnt see anything that seemed to help. how do i determine if i'm getting air into system and where its coming from? someone said my well could be dry? but i can get some water coming up, its just not filling the tank. how do you tell if well is dry? wouldnt i get no water at all if it was?

Old 03-22-09, 10:11 PM
B
Originally Posted by widowedyoung View Post
i looked at the stickys but didnt see anything that seemed to help. how do i determine if i'm getting air into system and where its coming from? someone said my well could be dry? but i can get some water coming up, its just not filling the tank. how do you tell if well is dry? wouldnt i get no water at all if it was?
YOu've been out of water for a month??

Does your system have a pressure gauge anywhere? Another thing that may stop you from building pressure is the jet is plugged.

Old 03-22-09, 10:17 PM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
wow.. you've been living with a pump running full time for a month now ??

Do you have a pressure gauge on the pump or tank to show what level is building up at all ?

So to recap, you get water at the tap for a while with good pressure.. then it slows down and stops ? All the while the pump is running 24/7 ?

Could the well end of the line be plugged up with dirt/sand etc ?

Is this a dug or drilled well ?

Old 03-22-09, 10:57 PM
W
no water

no, pump hasnt been running for a month, I've had no water for a month...if I turn pump on it continues to run, but I dont want to burn it out. No idea if its a dug or drilled well, house was built in 1972 and we bought it in 1994. husband died 2 years later...no idea where/what well cap is or ? the pump will bring up some water, but its not filling the pressure tank. which i'm assuming is why it keeps running when i have it plugged in? i do have a pressure gauge, its also new. how do i find out if jet is plugged?

Old 03-23-09, 04:34 AM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Once the snow clears, inspect the yard .. you should find a metal cap of about 4" diameter which would be a drilled well.. or a concrete (or sometimes other) lid of about 3 feet diameter (dug well). Either may be hidden under some kind of wishing well or bench etc.

The pump is inside the house right ?

What does the pressure gauge say when the pump is running? Does the reading vary ? Try to describe where the pressure gauge is connected (to the pump body, at the pressure tank, etc etc ) ?

Old 03-23-09, 06:51 AM
B
Reading your first post again, I'm betting there was nothing wrong with your pump if it was only 1.5 years old.

The problem is not that the tank "isn't filling," it's that the pump isn't building up enough pressure to shut off.

Because of the recent pump change, odds are that the problem is directly related to that: an air leak or plugged jet, not something in the well.

Old 05-09-09, 08:08 PM
W
how do i find well?

ok...i had a well company come out and look. pump is fine, tank is fine, problem is with well, but he couldnt find my well. house was built in 72, i called the county to see if they had records, they dont. they didnt require anything until the 80's. any idea how to find the well without thing sticking up in the yard?

Old 05-09-09, 08:40 PM
You might could try a metal detector. Where you are the well may be around 6' under ground. However there should be a well head close to the surface. Being that old it may be steel. Hopefully!

Travis

Old 05-09-09, 09:29 PM
W
well

how close to the surface? my son did the metal detector thing and we think we have an idea where it might be. should i just start digging?

Old 05-09-09, 09:41 PM
The top may be right under the ground. That is only a guess on my part.
Each well driller has the own way of doing things. But if I were the one to put in the well, I would put the top where I could get to it for repair.

Here in Tx. the top has to be a minimum of 12" above ground. After all, our winter only last about three days...lol

Travis

Old 05-10-09, 12:36 AM
I didn't see a thing here about the check valve on the line. It sounds to me like you have a bad "foot" valve which keeps the pump line primed.

I'm posting a very good site so you can understand things better here. Also its a mini house bible for a homeowner.

How to prime a water pump to restore lost water pressure