Well pump high-pitched whistling sound

Old 02-24-09, 07:19 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well pump high-pitched whistling sound

I have a jet pump, a well that is 220 feet deep, dug in '65, diameter 1 3/4". The pump dates to at least 97 (sorry, I have seen an install tag on it, but can not go into the crawl space at the moment to confirm that and brand). Attached to a small holding tank (when running any water in the house, pump cycles on and off continuously every 30-60 seconds). Last year the pump seized up and we had a well company out (we weren't sure if it was the well or the pump) and they fixed it. For the past week, the pump has been making a very high-pitched whistle sound when running. Water pressure seems fine and steady. I don't have much knowledge of pumps, and need some guidance:
1. Any idea what is causing the sound/is there a fix?
2. Time for a new pump? Any brand recommendations?
3. Who do I call to service/replace? Will a plumber do this?

I can get more info on my pump this afternoon if it helps.

Thanks,
Brian

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-09, 04:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Your well sounds like it is water logged. There is a sticky at the top that can explain, what it is and how to fix it.

That sound may be from the bearings going out in the motor.
Only someone that is there, and can here the pump, can really tell you if it is bad or not.

As far a brand. There are a lot of good ones. Gould's,red jacket,jacuzzi or franklin electric.
Just do some research on line and look for the gpm you need, hp, and warranty. Don't just go on price.. Most of the time. You get what you pay for.
If you ask 10 people. You will get 10 different answers.

There are very few plumbers that know about wells. Calling a well guy is the better idea. They should know. However I have met some that have no business working on or around a well.
Find a well guy with at least 10 years on the job experience.

Travis